Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Replacement Gasket?

StoogeStooge Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
RIP BGE felt gasket! What's the best replacement?

Comments

• I am going NAKED next time. Just close the lid gently.
  • FSM-MeatballFSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    I got the nomex gasket from [url]Http://high-que.com[/url] it was easy to install ad the adhesive is attached to the gasket.

There are other opinions like-
    Rutland/copper adhesive
    BGE high temp plus super 77
    Nomex plus super 77
    Naked with no gasket
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    and a couple others:

-nomex plus hi-temp silicone ('copper') adhesive

-formed silicone adhesive by itself

(BGE's hi-temp is nomex, FWIW)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I just changed out mine this weekend. Went for the Nomex, (my flight suit is made of the same stuff) I got mine from my local BGE dealer. I discovered that using a pulmice stone will clean off 99% of the old gasket/glue residue. I found these stones at Lowes in the BBQ section, it's sold as a grill scraper/cleaner... get a couple of them. It will take a whole one to do the top and another for the bottom. Didn't bother playing with the acetone, didn't seem useful since I got almost all the crap off with those stones. My new gasket went on with no problems, used the Super77 and tonite I'll know if the fix was good.

OBTW... be careful using a razor knife when cutting a "welded shut" egg apart. The felt gasket has much more give than you will anticipate, thus the knife can pull free quickly and cut your other thumb :pinch: if it's in the way...and you'll need stiches to fix that. :S