Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Project-Welding and Cooking

Options
FSM-Meatball
FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I picked up a cheap stick welder from Harbor Freight a few months ago and have been itching to do something real, so I built a BGE Grid Height Adjuster.

5778586191_b2c25186f6.jpg

Picked up some cheap weldable steel from Home Depot, cut it and weleded it up in a couple of hours.
The welds are terrible, but they should hold. Bending the circle was the hardest part.
I'll probably paint it with some high temp BBQ paint, or just cook on it a few times and let it get a natural BGE patina.

Installed on my medium.
5778595309_d624c36a34.jpg

I did also cook my first batch of Ribs today, turned out great. Fit 4 racks on a medium and had space for more.
5779129606_9a98c31963.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I would NOT paint the extender.It all looks great. :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    FSM Meatball, Looks like a perfect job! ;) I would absolutely not paint it. It will be all nice and seasoned in no time! :) Nice going, and you saved some good $$$ for more meat!! :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice! Don't paint it. The crud from the egg will do nicely. I cut three of these from some scrap mild steel square tubing. Pic was taken quite a while back. Now they are solid black and are always stored outside. The only time they are out of the weather is when I'm using them!! :laugh:

4056055785_7421cd60d0_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    I really like those little pieces you cut out of the square tube. Might have to do that myself!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Meatball, I gotta aree with the others.
    Don't paint it, just let the patina develop........it will look boss!

B)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • FSM-Meatball
    Options
    Sounds good.. I'm Lazy anyway.
    No Paint. Ill just oil it up and let it get good and seasoned.
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    woooow!!!
    nice loooking ribs!!!
    greaat job!!!
    congrats!!!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    FSM-Meatball, I've been toying with buying a welder from HF myself. Did it come with sufficient instructions on how to do things, what metals to use, etc? Or did you have (or can recommend) a good "Home Welding for Dummies"-type book?

I took welding in high school shop, but that was way too many brain cells ago...

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    Micheal,

Nice & clever... I like these extension legs.

Do you have a patent or copyright???

Thanks for the picture!
    Marc
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    NO paint... and the ribs look great!!!!
    Marc
  • FSM-Meatball
    Options
    No instructions at all. I just used the internet. Between YouTube and some other sites I found most of what I needed. I have only been using "normal" steel I get from Home Depot.

This is the welder I got http://www.harborfreight.com/120-amp-arc-welder-98870.html. It can do 110 or 220v, so far I have been using 110. From things I have read it seems 220 actually makes the welding easier, so maybe I have to wire up a 220 circuit.

I probably should have gotten one of the units that feeds the wire automatically http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-98871.html, the stick welding is a bit tricky, but it gets the job done and I am learning.

Getting the Arc started has been the hardest thing for me. Like egging, lots of practice helps.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Thanks!

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month