Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time

ron4fish
ron4fish Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought my first Egg a medium as there is only 2 of us. Question, I heard that before you cook anything you needed to "burn" off the Egg, is this true? Can I just load it up and cook or do I need to heat empty the first time?

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    That was not good info.........fire it up and cook away! :laugh: BTW, welcome to the best forum in the universe! B)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    No, there isn't anything that needs to be burnt away. Do let the lump burn clean before placing the food on the grill. The smoke out the top should not be thick and "white," but thin, wispy, and "blue."

Do check to make sure the dome is well seated. There should be no gap. Place a dollar bill between the felt gasket layers and see that it is snug all the way around.

Stick around when you first light the lump, and watch how the temperature develops. It can take 20 - 30 minutes to come to 400, but after that, 800+, with a blue jet out the top, and gasket melting heat, is just minutes away.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Welcome!
    As you can tell from my amount of posts, I am fairly new to this forum.
    I can't tell you everything I have learned from these "old-timers" who are so generous with their own experiences and wisdom.
    Just fasten your seat-belt and keep coming back with questions, inquiries, whatever.
    You're gonna love it here (and learn a ton).

:P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • chp
    chp Posts: 16
    i christened mine this past weekend and before cooking country ribs (they were unbelievable) I heated it up the day prior just to make sure I had a handle on the temperature control. I am waiting on an order for the adjustable ring and spyder from the ceramic grill store so used 3 bricks to raise my grill a bit.
  • Ron, you forgot to tell them you were hooked after your brother and family took you to the Waldorf Eggfest ;)
  • Vapor Rub
    Vapor Rub Posts: 9
    I was told your not supposed to bring it above 400 the first time to cure the gasket? Not sure if its true but it sounded good.
  • pirates21
    pirates21 Posts: 74
    I was told the same thing, so i did a couple of lower temp cooks. I'm not really sure if it mattered. I then got the temp up pretty high on subsequent cooks, and fried my gasket. Still works just fine though!
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith