Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Results of clean burn :-(

Options
GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Before
IMAG0096-1.jpg

After 2 hours at 700
IMAG0102.jpg

And gunky...

Should i just keep doing clean burns till all gone?

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Did you have something else in the egg when you were doing the burn? The fact that it got whiter on the bottom and not on top makes me wonder.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GirlyEgg
    Options
    Nuttin' else...just like the pic... :(
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    wow is that the gasket "blood" referred to below?

Not sure what to suggest if that Is after 2 hrs @ 700. Maybe increase to 1000F?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Holy cow you must have had a lot of gunk :ohmy: , I would load up the lump to the top of the fire ring, maybe even more. Then do another burn, probably at least 3-4 hours and see where it gets you if you are really trying to clean it a lot.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GirlyEgg
    Options
    5 years of gunk.... Countless butts and beets!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Lynn, I thought I was doing a clean burn the other week, but my egg turned our just like yours. :( Here's my post. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1089952&catid=1#

The verdict was it needs a real long, wicked hot burn. Two hours won't cut it. B)
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Hi GirlyEgg..After this burn is well out and cool. Clean all the ash out (we use a shop vac) and load your egg with fresh lump to about 2 inches above the bottom of your fire ring. Give it a six point hot start. You may want to put your platesetter legs down in there also. Open the bottom vent all the way and take off the DFMT. Move the egg somewhere safe and check in the morning. FYI, be prepared to replace your gasket, but your egg should be mostly white inside. Good luck. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You will get MANY responses.I do not dissagree with ANY of them.This is what I do.Clean out ALL the ash from the egg.Fill the egg to the TOP of the FIRERING with fresh lump.Light it,open the top AND bottom vent WIDE OPEN.Let it burn til it burns itself out.It will be white and pristine from top to bottom.It may toast a gasket or it may not.The egg WILL be clean.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Too little lump,too little time. ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Think how long it takes an electric oven at what, 800?
    ... And an electric oven has much less stuff to burn off

Gotta let it go a long while. 600-700 will do it though. The radiant heat from the charcoal is way higher
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Just my opinion but I think the denser charchols like weekend warrior burn quite a bit hotter and do a better job of cleaning thing up.

Just an idea.

Doug
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I've done it a couple times and I use el cheapo briquettes. Yeah it makes more ash, but you're gonna clean it out afterwards anyway. I save lump for my cooks.

I load it up, either as much as it holds or the entire bag.
    Light it with the bottom vent wide open and nothing on the top.
    Let it burn and don't touch it (or open it) till it has cooled down again.
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
    I always take mine to 1000 deg. of more.

Relpace the gasket.