Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brisket timing? Inconsistent results.

MeatosBanditosMeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Memorial Day to all the eggers out there!

I have an issue that is giving me some confusion regarding cooking beef briskets. Last year in prep for a KCBS contest in Minnesota I practiced on 14.5# briskets from Sam's Club. My method was to apply a wet rub and dry rub, and cook on the offset egg (at 235 degrees) uncovered until 160 degrees, at which point I would foil it and add a cup of water before returning to the egg to cook until it gets to 190 degrees.

My practice cooks all ran right about 10 hours (pretty consistently too). About 6-7 hours in I'd put them in the foil and they'd come off tasting great and consistent each time. Then, at my competition, I followed all the same routines at the contest but my brisket cooked about 2.5 hours faster than planned. I had no idea why this was and then it happened again last night.

Last night I cooked two briskets following the same above method and my food was 2.5 hours ahead of schedule again. I have always used my DigiQII to maintain the temp in the egg as well as monitor the brisket temp. Is there something I am doing wrong or is this purely a meat issue? I'm absolutely baffled by it and have begun to wonder if the DigiQ is giving me incorrect temps? The dome temp in my egg doesn't really read very accurate so I don't use it for any accuracy comparison.

Any comments or thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks

Comments