Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time ribs

CrimsonEgg
CrimsonEgg Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to the butcher counter thinking I'd get baby backs, when I encountered these St. Louis ribs. They looked great so I thought I'd give them a whirl. Had to cut them into sections to fit on my meager Medium BGE. Used Dizzy Dust on one slab, left the other plain for the kids.

IMG_3294.jpg

Did a little poking around on the forum once I got them home and learned that they take considerably longer then baby backs. Time I had not budgeted with a hungry family looming. So I upped the temp from the 225 that I was planning, to 280. Crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

IMG_3295.jpg

Applewood chips doing their thing.

IMG_3296.jpg

A few beverages for the kids. (With a few for dad buried deep down in the bottom where it's coldest.)

IMG_3297.jpg

Caught some baseball while I waited.

IMG_3298.jpg

Two hours later (and a few spritzes from the Apple Juice/Apple Cider Vinegar) they were ready to come off. I was really thinking it would take at least another hour, so I was a little worried about having cooked them too fast.

IMG_3300.jpg

Once I sliced them, I was pleasantly surprised. Not exactly perfect, but certainly acceptable to an understanding family for a first try.

IMG_3302.jpg

And the world famous sauce from Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa makes everything better!

IMG_3303.jpg

Comments