Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pan searing

Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
edited 3:42PM in EggHead Forum
Re-introducing meself to pan seared meat. I had good luck with this method with steak and pork tenderloin last summer so it's back to the pan. The pan is heavy duty cast iron, a Bobby Flay product, handle whacked off to fit on the spider close to the hot coals. The goal here is to get good sear marks and form a crust without overcooking the meat internally.
BGEPanSearedSteak0003.jpg

Many a steak was cooked in cast iron, this is old school but I change things up by first searing in the pan then going with an indirect roasting to reach my target temp.
I change out the cast iron for a raised grid with drip pan. The dome cools down to around 350 and I slow roast the meat. Now I have a little more time on my hands to check with probe.
BGEPanSearedSteak0007.jpg

There is extra work with setups and then there is cleaning the cast iron pan afterwards...but, for me, it's hard to overcook the meat with this method. So I'll be doin this again.
BGEPanSearedSteak0008.jpg

BGEPanSearedSteak0011.jpg

BGEPanSearedSteak0012.jpg

For a treat Diana Q made us cherry pie. I'm trying to gain weight, I ate two of these. The pie was still warm....
BGEPanSearedSteak0016.jpg

Have a great Memorial Day.

Comments

• Nice looking steak! I have fresh cherries, wish I wasn't too lazy to make a pie (don't like all the pitting). I'll just have to settle for eating them out of hand while swinging on the porch. No pie for me...
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    When the time comes we go cherry picking in Door County Wisconsin. Good stuff.
  • Le Oeuf VertLe Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Nice picture documentation. The food all looks great.
  • VanzoVanzo Posts: 125
    As we say here in the deep south.....Boy, you done flung a hungry on me!!

Vanzo
    formerly Hugh Jass
    Thanks Mark.

What cookin today on the East Coast?
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,336
    Clay, that is some beautiful food
    He he he, well good food is worth sharin and I'm spreadin the love from Up North. Have a good one. ;)
  • Pork Butt MikePork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Clay awesome looking cook. I even take the cast iron pan and set it right on the coals and I get it to turn white and what a sear you get then. I good way for blacken steak. Good Eats ;)
  • VanzoVanzo Posts: 125
    Hey Clay, as my grand daddy use to say.....Got a good one, what I need is a big 'un!

Vanzo
    Thanks man.

I'm off to visit family in Milwaukee and I'll be coming back with good beer in the back of the potato wagon. I like to stop at a beer depot that goes waaaaaay back for me. :)

Have a great Memorial Day Marc!
    Awesome! Caveman cooking in the "Iron Age". Ha ha ha
    Sounds great Mike. Cast iron cooking is alive and well with the egg.
    Have a good one my friend.
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Clay, the steak looks perfect, as does that cherry pie ala mode! :)
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Great looking food and good tutorial Clay :)
    You are trying to gain weight!! You really no how to hurt a fella, don't you :laugh: :ohmy: :laugh:
    Thanks Rebecca!

Yeah, I go for classic All American Cherry Pie as a special treat. And I enjoy just a 'touch' of ice cream as well. :whistle:

I'd like to try pan seared pork steaks....we will see what happens! :woohoo:

Frank, it's true I'm too skinny for a cook. Must be I work way to much. Would enjoy some tips on how to relax while fishing from you. :cheer: ;)

Have a great Memorial Day my friend.
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    They look good Clay, Since Ive had my BGE's I don't seem to have any problems gaining weight!
  • LobichoLobicho Posts: 557
    ay ay ay ay...
    great looking pieces of meat!!!
    Congrats!!!
  • JBUG99999JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Hungry Celeste:
    Get a pitter, it makes pitting cherries a breeze! I got a middle of the road one, which cost about $12 and does four at a time. I got it from Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and it even has a little tray to catch the pits so it doesn't make a mess. The really expensive ones go fast, but since cherry season is so short (at least it is way down here in FL) I'm happy doing more than one at a time. B)
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,347
    Now that is a motivator!!! ( and it looks delicious too!) I will have to try that. What did you use to whack off the handle
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Okay I just got off work and why oh why do I look at this forum. A poor substitute but I'm ready to head out to Meijers and scrounge up a cherry pie I can eat NOW :woohoo:
    Hack saw. Then filed and sanded smooth.
    :lol:
    Pick up some vanilla ice cream while your there as well.