Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs

brisket30
brisket30 Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried spare ribs for the first time. Setup indirect at 225 with apple wood chips. Cooked for five hours and then sauced them for the last hour. Some were OK but most were a little chewy. Did they need more tome or what. Thanks for some direction.

Comments

• Vanzo
    Vanzo Posts: 125
    5 hours at 225 seems way-too-long for me. I think you may have overcooked them.

At 225 i think they would be done in at least 4 hours, maybe 3 1/2!

Vanzo
  • brisket30
    They were still very moist but I will try a shorter time. Is there a way to tell when there done?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I cook spares 6 to 8 hours at 250 dome temp
  • Vanzo
    Two simple ways. When the meat starts pulling away from the end of the bone they are real close to done. And if you pick up a slab with a pair of tongs and the slab bends to the point of almost breaking in half, they are DONE !

To be exact you could also use an instant read thermometer and pull them when they are 165 in the thickest part.

Its mostly trial and error.....I overcooked several slabs before I found out what works best for me. Just keep on cooking and you'll be telling us a new way before long!

Good Luck!

Vanzo
    Alabama
  • Vanzo
    ok. Well, I can't explain why if I cook at 225 for over 4 hours they are overdone???? If I cooked the way you do they would definitely be overdone.

Whatever you like, keep doing it. I personally like my ribs cooked about 4-5 hours at 210.

Vanzo
  • brisket30
    When I picked them up they bent slightly so maybe they needed longer. Thanks for the input, headed to the store to try again.
  • Vanzo
    There you go....that's what makes it fun!!!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    baby backs for me will normally go 4 1/2 to 5 hrs. spares trimmed about 6, untrimmed 7-8

trimmed at 6 hours

100_4783.jpg

100_4788.jpg
  • You can go all scientific. Put one rack in wait two hours put another rack in wait another hour put the last rack in wait 4 hours and try them all and see which you like. I might do this myself as I haven't had the best success with spares...

Doug
  • Medium-Rare
    Medium-Rare Posts: 72
    First couple of times I tried ribs, I really didn't care for the results. I read alot of the posts on this board and listened to some good advise. I don't think I was cooking them long enough in addition to a couple of other mistakes.

Calibrate your dome thermometer. There could be a 25 degree difference with the temperature of the cooking grid being lower. Asssuming your thermometer was calibrated that means your were really cooking at approximately 200.

Wait for the fire to stabilize at the temperature you choose. Let the VOC's burn off.

I did two racks on Saturday and sprayed with apple juice every hour. The first three hours were at grate temp of 250 (indirect). I increased it to 275 for the next two hours (indirect). I pulled the platesetter and finished with sauce direct for 30 minutes.

Great end result with a total time of 5 hrs 30 mintes and these were babybacks.
  • brisket30
    Baby backs have never been an issue just spare ribs giving me troubles.