Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp question

Options
Vanzo
Vanzo Posts: 125
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've wondered for a while so I thought I would just go ahead and show my stupidity and ask the question: I've read on here and other places that 165 is done for pork. So why do we cook our butts to 195? I'm cooking one tomorrow so thats why I'm thinking about it again.

Thanks,
Van
Alabama

AND THANKS TO ALL WHO SERVED AND GAVE EVERYTHING FOR OUR FREEDOM!!

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Not a stupid question... the low/slow cook causes the connecting tissue to break down. While the meat may be safe to eat at 160, tenderness and texture is achieved 195-200 on a butt...
    Kent Madison MS
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Generally, high quality pieces of meat are tender when cooked to minimum temps. They are generally lean and do not contain collegan, etc. Butts and roasts are tougher pieces of meat and when slow cooked, allow the collegan and fat to break down turning a tough piece of meat into a delicious fat basted piece of heaven. You can certainly eat butt at 165 but will need to slice it because it won't pull apart. However, if you bring the internal temp up to 190 to 200 the meat will have completely broken down and will fall apart allowing you to "pull" it.

Pork is safe to eat at 140 and I would highly recommend not going over that temp for pork chops, loin, etc. At 165, pork loin is closer to shoe leather then a tender piece of meat.
  • Vanzo
    Options
    ok, that makes sense and thanks. But when you foil it and wrap it for 2-3 hours does the temp continue to rise?

Vanzo
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I assume you are talking about after it is pulled from the grill and heat. Yes, the temp will continue to rise after the food is removed from the grill. I normally figure a 5 degree rise for most foods and that rise will happen within 1/2 hour. After that, the temp will slowly start to decline if wrapped in foil.
  • Vanzo
    Options
    Ok, thanks.....now I know why you experts pull your butts at 195. I'm cooking one Wednesday and will do the same.

Vanzo
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Some pull at 190 and some pull at 200 meat temps. The difference is minimal and falls on personal preference. A lot of times it depends on if you are trying to extend your cooking time or trying to shorten it. Both will produce delicious pig. I generally cook my butts to 200 then pull of and rest for 1/2 to 4 hours depending on eat time. Remember, there are no stupid questions and anything to shorten the learning curve, the better.