Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Foray into Ribs on brand new Large

Options
bonemuse
bonemuse Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks-
I just got my first BGE this weekend (Large) and am excited to try something. Go big or go home, right? So I'm going to try Car Wash Mike's Baby Back Ribs. Any last minutes words of advice? They would be greatly appreciated! :laugh:
~TK~
--------------------------------------
30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Last minute as in you are putting them on now or tomorrow?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bonemuse
    Options
    Tomorrow-- Using Penzey's Rubs (1 Galena Street, 1 BBQ 3000, and 1 Chicago Steak) Gonna get up early and get the rub on...

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    You do have a way of going indirect right?
    ie: Platesetter?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • bonemuse
    Options
    Yes, I have a platesetter and a drip pan...

~TK~

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Well best of luck, I'm gonna try to do ribs tomorrow myself but the forecast calls for 30-45 mile an hour winds which makes it really difficult to maintain temp. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    No need to rub them way ahead of time. I have 3 slabs going on tomorrow also.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    My newbie advice is patience. Make sure the meat has pulled back off the bone and use the bend test. I have made them twice and am sure I could have cooked longer, though they were mighty tasty!

019-13.jpg
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.