Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet Spare Ribs

Options
NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I normally like spicy and tangy ribs. But my wife and two boys prefer sweet ribs.

Here's the rub I used for theirs and some basics on how I smoke them that I wrote up for our local paper's annual grilling special.

Nibble Me This Sweet Rib Rub

1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 ounce Hungarian paprika
3 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarse grind
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Mix ingredients together and apply to ribs about one hour before starting to smoke them. Store extra rub in an airtight container. Yield: 1/2 cup.

Note: This rib rub is for smoking ribs and isn't intended for grilling over direct heat.

Rib tips: Use St. Louis-style trimmed spare ribs with the back membrane removed.

DSC_0223resized-1.jpg

Cook the ribs with indirect heat at 250 degrees for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

For smoke, I like to add a mix of cherry and hickory wood chunks in the coal.

DSC_0239resized-1.jpg

During the third hour (usually about the 3:15 mark), wrap ribs tightly in foil and put back in the cooker. To add flavor, add things like more sugar, honey, apple juice, butter, etc into the foil pack. Experiment with flavors you like.

DSC_0248resized.jpg

After 45 minutes, remove from the foil and put the ribs back in the cooker. If you like "fall of the bone" ribs (overdone), leave in the foil for up to 1 hour 15 minutes.

DSC_0253resized-3.jpg

If you like sauced ribs, glaze them in the last 30 minutes of cooking with your favorite barbecue sauce. If you want extra sweet and sticky ribs, sweeten the sauce with honey, agave nectar or corn syrup and a bit of extra rub.
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Chris,

I went to your website this morning and copy and pasted this exact recipe. I also fanned it on Facebook. Im very happy with my rib recipe but always looking to try something different. I will try this rub and technique on my next rib cook. Other than brown sugar, which I can see, what do you use in the foil pack? Thanks and have a great holiday weekend.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Chris,

I went to your website this morning and copy and pasted this exact recipe. I also fanned it on Facebook. Im very happy with my rib recipe but always looking to try something different. I will try this rub and technique on my next rib cook. Other than brown sugar, which I can see, what do you use in the foil pack? Thanks and have a great holiday weekend.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I just recently changed to butter, brown sugar, and tiger sauce.

This time I used Bone Sucking Sauce and agave nectar (3:1) for the glaze. Very sweet.

I don't like sweet ribs but the family does. I like mine drier and with more heat.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Never heard of tiger sauce? Do you always do meat side down in foil? Thanks