Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chips or Chunks

Options
Dixie Smoker
Dixie Smoker Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All and God bless our troops. I'm a long time traditional Southern pit smoker, but new to eggin! What is best for long term cooking like Brisket or Butts...chips or chunks? I've been using chunks but when I get done most of the wood is not burned. I've also experienced the meat being covered in ash? Also, how much wood is best? I've had a couple come out with way too much smoke, especially when trying Mesquite.

Thanks for the help and God Bless

KK

Comments

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    I use chunks. If I do a butt I use 3 chunks the size of a fist. I also use natural lump and I do not soak. Good luck
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Chunks only for low and slows. I only use one or two small pieces. No sense using chips - they burn up in minutes.

I rarely if ever use Mesquite - too powerful for my taste. I stick mostly to fruit woods.

No idea why your meat would be covered in ash, never heard of such a thing - bizarre.

Take care and good luck experimenting with different wood types!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Either or.No need to soak either.I'm skeered of skeet(WAY TOO STRONG).I use fruit wood or pecan(my fave).If you use chips,distribute it throughout the lump when you load the egg.That way no matter where there is fire there is smoke wood.If you use chunks 3-5 nestled amongst the lump will suffice.