Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare ribs for a change

Options
TNmike
TNmike Posts: 643
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK it really wasn't for a change they just happened to be more of a sale on the spares than the baby backs for the weekend in our area. And the cheap side of me won the selection process. :) I haven't done spares in a while so was just guessing on getting the timing right. Came out pretty good but really really almost too 'fall off of the bone' done. Not much pull at all. One pic of them going on and one coming off. One sauced at the end and one without. Trying to satisfy all the family tastes. As you can see I don't do much trimming just rub and throw them on the BGE. Mike

DSC01426.jpg

DSC01428.jpg

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    They look terrific! I am going to do some tomorrow :):)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I bypassed baby backs for the first time in 11 years of egging for sake of spares on the egg tomorrow - how long, what temp and did you foil? Thanks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Ron, I cooked at 250* dome and did foil for a little over an hour after 4 hours but shouldn't have though. After the foil I took them out of the foil and back on for a total cook time of 6 1/2 hours. They were a little too done and would have been better if I had skipped the foiling step. They tasted fine but were just a little too pull off of the bone done for my preference. Used a little apple and cherry for the smoke. I have no idea of why I thought I should foil as I'm not usually a foiler for ribs. If you do like the fall off of the bone ribs the foiling is a great way to get there without drying them out. Mike