Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Hinge Problem

Knauf
Knauf Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My hinge has been giving me some trouble lately. First it wouldn't stay in the fully open position, it would drop slightly an inch or 2. I can live with that. Now lately I have had trouble keeping low temp on low and slow cooks. 2 weeks ago I replaced the gasket with a Rutland and noticed the seal wasn't very good. Smoke billowed around the seal. Just yesterdy I noticed that there is a gap about 1/16" around the back from about 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock. I tried loosening the band and re-setting the dome lid with the bottom, but no luck. Anyone ever had this problem? Does anyone have a link to a fix for this problem? I have a low and slow tonight and need it fixed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Secure the hinge spring thingy and reposition the bands and tighten...some one more technical with their egg can give more exact instructions...souns like the bolts are/werd loose and the repositioned themselves...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

At times the bands need a little adjustment.

Carriage bolts that tighten the bands down onto the grill at times not tight enough, this will cause a little slack in the bands which give the spring assembly a little play. What happens is the springs try to open the dome but they are not strong enough to do it.....they can pull the dome up in the back area. If the spring assembly opens a little it will cause the dome to pull in the back and the only place the dome will actually touch is the front. This is the most common problem the eggs have.

To reset:
    1.) Have someone hold the dome open for you
    2.) With a set of locking pliers clamp on the top of the spring and pull the spring up and off the assembly.
    3.) Once both springs are off (large egg) carefully close the dome
    4.) Loosen the carriage bolt on the dome band and remove the dome
    5.) If replacing the gaskets, remove and replace the gasket as per instructions.
    6.) Now the important part....when you put the dome back on tighten the carriage bolts until the bend away from the grill. Don't worry you will not break the ceramics.
    7.) Have someone open the dome while you put the springs back on.

What you just did is reset the timing on the spring assembly.