Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs near the ocean.

Reverend BSB
Reverend BSB Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had two customers looking at Eggs yesterday, but they were concerned about the egg holding up near the ocean, with the salt air. I told them that the only pieces that should rust or degrade would be the bolts and springs on the band and nest, all easy and cheap to replace. But the wife went on and on about how the nest and bands would degrade too, even though they are painted. Basically they were the type that just wanted to be confrontational and talk themselves out of buying it no matter what I said. But does anyone near the ocean have any stories about how the egg hardware holds up in the salt air for the future?

Comments

• It holds up just fine. I have lived on the water for the past 6 years, and my 15 year old egg hasn't changed a bit during that time. It is in a table and not in a nest. I do recommend keeping it covered, I am sure that has helped protect it.

Customers like that are no fun!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Forgot to say that my oldest egg has the original hardware, except for the bottom vent, which I changed out in order to get the screen. There is no rust on the bands at all.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    Good to hear. The only pieces I was really concerned over were the bolts and springs in the band and hinge assembly. But 6 years is a pretty good life for them in general, much less in salt air.
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Morning Reverend,
    I've had Eggs in Pacifica, Ca. a block & a half from the ocean for approximately 5 years & never a problem with rust except the Daisy Wheel does get rusty but a high temp. burn takes care of that.
    Keeping the Eggs covered is the ticket. The salt air settles on the cover.
    Cheers,
    bruce
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    My egg spent 2 years right on the coast in Monterrey, CA. I can tell you with 100% certainty the base of the hinge mechanism (where the springs attach), the springs, and the springs - all show signs of corrosion/rust. The springs are white. The hinge base has a few bubbles of rust percolating under the paint.

I agree, it's a cheap 100.00 fix.

Ted
  • TRPIV, did you keep your egg covered?

• TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    I think that was the difference. I was not covered for part of that time.

Good catch,
    Ted
  • Six years, 900 feet from the Gulf of Mexico, uncovered, under roof, all bolts almost rusted through, some broken, all need replacing, all parts of the nest show rust, paint bubbling, flaking off, casters rusting, daisy wheel almost rusted shut. Brought it home to sand, repaint, replace band. Still the best cooking device I have ever owned.
  • Living on Tampa Bay I usually replaced grills about every three years. My egg is now three years old and has been uncovered all that time. It still looks and works like new and all I've had to replace is the gasket. No signs of rusting except for one nut that must have been poorly galvanized. I have found that if you use the egg regularly, there is really no need to cover it.  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    This is almost a trick question.
    Ocean, water/lake and Gulf Coast conditions are very different depending on where you live.
    I live on the Gulf Coast in Texas near the water but not on the water. Everything rusts...
    Not kidding...over night metal will rust. My bands and nests all have rust. Covered or not, does not matter but covering does slow it down. My tools will rust in my closed garage in my closed tool box.
    Gulf Coast sucks at times. lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    bge has sent me springs when they failed, you should carry the springs and bolts for free replacement as needed, someones going to break one of those clinch studs at assembly anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Could you spray your hardware with food grade lubricant/grease and prevent the rust?  I use some for my bandsaw at the camp.  We spray it with water and everything else to clean it and then just spray all the hardware components.  Just a thought.  I don't really know. 

Little Rock, AR

• SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    edited September 2014

Don't know if you can get any closer to the Ocean :)  Saw this on my last trip to Gulf Shores, a little rust but looked to be holding up ok.

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• Mine sits within 15 feet of salt water on high tide and has for a couple of years. Not a lot of rust. It is never covered. One caster on the nest looks bad because ashes covered it for a while. Nothing is near ready for replacement.
    Bob cooking on the coast
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• My dads neighbor keeps his egg a literal stones throw from the Gulf of Mexico and its lasted years. I've fished on a boat with an egg in gulf shores, AL. it had no issues. My uncle lives and keeps his egg one block from the Gulf of Mexico and has for 5 years, also no issues.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    2 years on the east coast and my nest has some rust near the wheels and that's about it, I cover in the winter.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    2-1/2 years in the Mid Atlantic... A few of the screws on the next have rusted heads... That's about it.

I have only covered it a few times when there was freezing rain forecasted to keep the gasket from freezing shut, otherwise it stays uncovered.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    My medium is 20 yrs old bands are 8 can hear waves breaking from my porch have to spray hinges w/wd40 every few years. Large is 2 yrs old no issues other than paint flaking on nest. Both onder a porch never been covered.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Mine is pretty close
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    minor rust on the daisy wheel that is about it
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57
    Aloha
    On the water.  And, almost everything rusts.....Daisy wheel is the only thing on my BGE that has rust.....Also have a stainless steel grill and it has rusted..
    Other than the wheel no rust and no failures. On the BGE...
    Has been uncovered for about 2 months.  But prior to that it was always covered.
    Aloha from Kailua, Hawaiii