Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large egg flames

Options
surveyor
surveyor Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking pizza last night. Temp would not rise so I used my wiggle rod as I have done many times before. Flames shot out of the bottom vent door and caught my jacket on fire. Temp rose instantly to over 800 put on the top vent and closed the bottom vent. Temp went back down to 200. Opened everything back up and about every 30 seconds or so flame shot out of the bottom door and each time the temp rose about 100 degrees. this went on for a while and finally everything stabalized at about 550 never had that happen before and I have had my large for about 12 years. What could cause this?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Zombies!! I have had my large blow flame out the bottom vent at 250 and also 600F. I always stand off to the side for the bottom vent and wear my silicon gloves before I lift the top. Voodoo???
  • surveyor
    Options
    Lifting the lid I know that happens but never had I had the bottom blow flames like that. I was just wondering if there is something that I did to cause this or does it happen when certain conditions happen
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Usually it happens when the temp is high, 450++.
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    You had an oxygen starved fire, large mass of lump burning not much oxygen. Sounds like there was a large build up of ash under the lump, you should clean the entire egg. This includes taking the charcoal grate out.

The spikes in temp were the flames hitting thermometer.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Sometimes I use my guru to get my egg to 250 fast and as soon as the guru stops pushing air into the egg every couple seconds I will hear a weird sound and a big gush of air and smoke will push through the top gasket. It seems like the guru got the bottom lump hot enough to flame but when the oxygen is cut off as soon as it gets enough oxygen to flame again it ignites. If the guru wasn't on the bottom vent I'm sure flames would come out.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    You absolutely, no question, had an oxygen starved fire. This has happened to me ONCE...and I know it is because I dumped all the lump from the bottom of the bag, including a good amount of dust. I will NEVER do that again! :blink: We have been egging a LONG time, and I admit, it was the first time the Egg actually scared me. It was an airflow issue, for sure. Did you happen to use the last of a bag of lump?? :huh:
  • surveyor
    Options
    I think that must of been it. I used the last of a bag and it did have alot of dust. I have done that before with no problem but that seems to be right, I just won't do that againg thanks.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It ain't a problem if you will stir the lump after you dump it.
  • Hoss
    Options
  • Hoss
    Options
    Just stir the lump after you dump it in.Problem solved.
  • Hoss
    Options
  • surveyor
    Options
    Thanks I will try always be sure to do that. People here are really great Thanks