Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp dropped on me last night.

Options
locolongball
locolongball Posts: 414
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I woke up around 4am, so I went outside to check on my temp. It creeped up to 265 and the intern. temp of meat was 132. Not a big deal, so I shut things down a little. I just checked it again about 7:45 and the temp was about 195, and the intern. temp of the meat was 129. I'm into the cook 13.5hrs, on a 7.3 pounder pork shoulder maintaining 230 for most of the cook. Did that temp drop kill me? I was thinking my meat temp would be up in the 160 range by now? Any help.

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    locolongball,[p]I would check my thermometers. A butt cooking that long, even part of it at 195°, should be higher than 129° - 132°. Either you are cooking at a lower temp or your butt is at a higher temp. Check that out first before you decide what to do with the meat.[p]Chuck
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    locolongball,[p]At 230° dome, you're in the 200° range at the grid, which means it'll take considerably longer to get there. I usually shoot for 250° dome. [p]Did you calibrate your dome thermometer before you started? Are you sure it's reading right? I would expect a 7 lb roast to be done at 14 hours, but I do mine at 250° for that timing. I know others do them at lower dome temps and they do 20 hour cooks sometimes, so there can be significant differences in the time of the cook and plateau.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    QBabe,[p]That was close, we almost tripped over each other. [p]Sounds like you did a great job with the Florida Eggfest. I just might have to make the trip south next year and join you.[p]See you in Waldorf.[p]Chuck

• locolongball
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I did calibrate the dome thermometer before I started. Everything is reading correctly. My meat is 128. I'm now 14hrs into the cook. I'm thinking about crancking the dome up to 300 or so. What do you think.. Is my meat still safe, or did it stay at that temp range too long.
  • locolongball
    Options
    Well, I lost it! Meat spoiled on me. Damn it! Oh well, going to Publix and tonight we are going to try it again. ;-) I'm thinking about doing it @ 250 like Qbabe suggested.

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    thegadgetsource_1835_4274335
    <p />locolongball,[p]You might want to invest in a dual probe thermometer that has alarms for the pit temp. I use the Maverick ET-73 and I can set thresholds for a low temp and a high temp. When it beeps, I can make my adjustments in time without the fire going out.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    [ul][li]Maverick ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometer[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    locolongball,
    Sorry to hear about your cook. I've thrown out some BBQ that went down bad. It happens. I never stop learning. [p]Just thinking.....You might want to consider a 12-14 hour cook in the daytime. I'm doing one tomorrow with a twin chuck for pulled beef samitches. Starting with a good morning coffee then firing up the egg before sunrise. Yes sir, gonna greet the dawn.

• Fishkiller
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    I ordered one of these from the same source on wednesday and received it on friday. Cheap too, came out to @ $45.00 after shipping.[p]fishkiller

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    fishkiller,[p]They work great too! It really helped me in getting a BBQ Guru for the long cooks. Mama was tired of hearing the alarm go off at 3 AM that she insisted I get a Guru. Now she sleeps like a baby during long cooks and is happy.[p]Like they say, "If Mama ain't happy, NOBODY's happy"[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    locolongball,
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. You sound like you've really been enjoying your egg. I'm the same way.....wanting to cook on it every night. Especially after being at the fest and wanting to try everything I saw there.
    If you want one of the Maverick ET-73's here is where I bought mine http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html
    The service was excellent. I received it 2 days after ordering.
    Did you see my earlier post regarding the Florida fest?

• GrillMeister,
    Ordered mine tody and emailed friend who was looking for one! thanx Grillmeister for all the great info as always! Think I'll go make some ABT's while iI wait! Good eggin Gregg

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Bryan,[p]Sorry to hear of your misfortune...that's too bad. But better to be safe and toss it than end up sick.[p]These days, I don't even mess with going overnight with them. The ones I get come two to a cryovac package at Sams and average about 6-7 lbs a piece. That usually means a 12-14 hr cook for me at 250° dome temp, which means if I get up early (say around 5am), then I can have pulled pork by dinnertime. It's much easier to keep an eye on and you don't have to miss any sleep to do it. [p]Good luck with yours and don't despair. Once you nail it, you'll be thrilled and it will be some of the best tasting stuff you've ever eaten![p]Tonia
    :~)