Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock BBQ Chicken

BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've combed through multiple posts in the forum and don't see many eggers putting BBQ sauce on the spatchcock chickens. I've done multiple chickens without but was considering saucing it up for Memorial Day. Any suggestions? Seems simple enough to sauce near end of cook, but curious if anyone has some solid results.

375 raised grid direct cook

Happy Memorial weekend to everyone!

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I am a crispy skin lover ;) , so I don't sauce my chicken. Others I cook for are, so take your favorite wet sauce and brush on at the last 15 minutes of cooking.
    (Note if your BBQ sauce is cold, nuke for about 1 minute on med high before putting on chicken) ;)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Do what Joan said except I like my sauce cold. It takes all kinds and we are all correct.
    Bone Sucking Sauce is real good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I am impatient, Mickey. I want to jumpstart caramelization of the sauce ;) :evil: :cheer:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I normally don't sauce but sometimes I do.

If I'm doing raised, indirect, I baste it on in the last 10-15 minutes.

If I'm doing smoked and indirect, I mop it instead. I take a cup of cider vinegar, 1/2 cup bottled sauce, 1/2 cup beer, salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Then I squirt it on every 30 minutes.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • JWhirlwind
    JWhirlwind Posts: 32
    I don't have much luck putting any sauce on meat during the cook. Most all sauces have sugar in them that will burn to some degree while cooking. I find it better to get the sauce of your choice and put it on the meat just as it comes off the Egg. Wrap the meat if you like before eating, but sauce on after the cook. My opinion.
    Jerry
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Thanks for all the responses! Hope to post some pics of the final product.