Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on Tenderloin Steaks

Options
TEggSun
TEggSun Posts: 244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,

I am about to try steaks on my Egg for the first time, and am looking for some advice. We like our tenderloins med rare to med with a crispy bark. Has anyone tried searing steaks directly on the lump? Any advice on cooking time for 1.5" thick cuts?

Thanks in advance.
Todd
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    Hey AustinEgger. You stole my handle. The only difference is I have a space in mine. :ohmy:
  • TEggSun
    Options
    Sorry about that. I just realized it myself. I set it up about a month ago, so you clearly had it first. Time for me to think of a new one. :-)

• tbk420
    tbk420 Posts: 70
    Options
    Done them twice in the last week, but I was using the Spider and CI grate right above the coals.

Someone posted a pic in my thread of their method - putting a CI grate right on top of the coals, or even right on the coals.

Did TRex method - I seared 90 seconds on each side at 650, then removed and let rest for 15-20 minutes in foil while I brought the temps down to 400. Roasted on raised grid at 400 until it hit 125, pulled it for a 10 minute rest.

They turned out perfect each time, so I'll keep doing it. ;)
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I showed pics of mine last Saturday and someone suggested I put them right down on the coals. Gonna try it with a small tenderloin streak this afternoon.

I suspect if you put anything but salt on them you'll get a black yuckiness on the outside.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I thought you had had your egg for too long to be doing your first steaks :S

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TEggSun
    Options
    Thanks for this, TBK. That sounds like a great technique.

• TEggSun
    Options
    Thanks, Wok. I was thinking of just sea salt and coarse pepper. Do you think pepper will be a problem?

• TEggSun
    Options
    Little Steven...good call. I started with ribs (which I have done for years in my offset smoker, but the ones on the Egg were the best ever) burgers and pizza. I then had to take two international trips for my job. Clearly my boss does not understand I had a new BGE that was beconing. Alas, we are reunited today and I expect the coals to burn for the next 3 days. B)

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Hot tub them then cook em direct 450 dome til they hit 125 -130 internal.Rest them for 10 minutes,serve,enjoy.
  • TEggSun
    Options
    Hoss...sorry for the rookie question, but what does "hot tub" them mean?

• Peterplant76
    Options
    Tegg Sun,

Don't feel bad I have been reading all evening about hot tubing and still don't know what it is. Sounds fun though.