Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egret ham success & a monster chop

Options
Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend we went to Scottsdale for my fiance's daughter's wedding. She asked me to bring a Maple Bourbon ham she had tried once at Christmas. I was more than happy to oblige! We weren't sure how many would be there, so we got 2 spiral cut hams at Costco. I've never done Egret's recipe on a spiral cut, but from now on it's the only way I'll go. Spread the paste in between the slices and let them sit over night. Then on to the egg to smoke, with apple & cherry wood. Smoked each one 3 1/2 hours. Got rave reviews!

Ham #1 ready to foil and put in the cooler.
IMAG0466.jpg

Ham #2
IMAG0468.jpg

I had picked up a monster pork chop from Bristol Farms on sale last week. Decided to cook it up one night this week.
IMAG0498.jpg
Because it was so thick and I've not had good luck with beef from Bristol, I decided to brine it for a bit.  In the brine of kosher salt & brown sugar.IMAG0499.jpg

Out of the brine, rinsed and dried. Sprinkled with RichardFL's Indian River Spice & Pepper.
IMAG0500.jpg

Seared at about 500 for a couple a minutes a side, then lowered the temp and added corn.
IMAG0501.jpg

Pulled at internal temp of 136. Perfectly cooked, tender, juicy and very flavorful.
IMAG0502.jpg

Bonus picture! Our dog Bella was not a good car rider. I bought her a doggy car seat and that changed. She loves her seat, was a perfect girl on the drive to Scottsdale.
IMAG0474.jpg

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    That's an interesting twist to apply the paste to the inside - but what about the maple syrup portion? No offense to those who use that wonderful recipe to a spiral cut, but half of the success is the injected maple syrup which obviously runs right back out.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Big a$$ pork chop Teresa. :P

I'm sure everyone will love your Egret hams. ;)
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    I skipped the injection. In the past, it has never worked for me. Think I need a new injector. So I guess it was a modified Egret ham!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Wow!! :laugh: That really looks great! :woohoo: I gotta try that sometime on a spiral cut..........
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    when you say it has never worked do you mean because you have always tried to inject a spiral cut? If so you really ought to give the uncut ham a try - it's a WINNER and no, I do not have a sweet tooth! The syrup turns an inexpensive, uncut ham into a gourmet ham!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    No, I've always used an uncut ham. My injector gets stopped up and impossible to push in. Eventually it all ends up squirting in my face. I only tried the spiral cut because we needed it easy to serve for a crowd.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Ham looks terriffic! That CHOP is DA BOMB!!! :)
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Teresa the food looks great!! hope everything was perfect at the wedding.We sure missed you at the Eggfest,weather was perfect-food was great and the beer was a flowing.

Good eats and GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Glad the fest was a success! We'll be there next year for sure.