Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

the collie flower

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You’re gonna need to be a fan of cauliflower to appreciate this. I know this is a bit redundant style-wise but fits well within the framework of alternate (to the same old slab of meat) cooking.

The old family method of preparing cauliflower involves chopping & cooking it to death with a healthy dose of olive oil, salt, pepper, and locatelli (pecorino) cheese, fried into a sort of pancake (basically a version of bubble & squeak). I did that here, & once finished on both sides, topped in concentric circles with tomato, black olives, grilled scallions & mozzarella, the idea being you eat it from the center out & experience several different flavors with each ring as you work towards the edge (which is unique itself as the part that’s the most cooked, almost burned, crispy & crunchy).

The humble cauliflower:

015.jpg

Chop into large sections & into a pan with some water, steam for a while with the lid on to soften:

016.jpg

After a little while:

018.jpg

When done, add a spoonful (or twelve) of locatelli:

019.jpg

Form into a disc on a well-oiled & foiled veggie tray:

023.jpg

Onto the egg:

024.jpg

After it’s crispy, remove, & throw on some scallions to caramelize:

020.jpg

021.jpg

Add the tomatoes to the center, the olives, scallions & cheese:

025.jpg

Back onto the egg to heat it through:

026.jpg

027.jpg

After about 10 minutes cut it up & serve:

033.jpg

034.jpg

A close-up of the outer edge, the wife’s favorite part:

038.jpg

Happy Memorial Day to one & all, Marc
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Come on,, get back to the meat :woohoo: :laugh:
    Sorry for the delay but it went out yesterday so you should see it Tuesday ;)
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    Zippylip, you are amazing.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Makes all of my cooks look rediculously simple! I love cauliflower, so it looks awesome to me.
  • Zippylip
    there'll be plenty-o-meat this weekend, thought I'd ease into it :laugh: ; and thanks, looking forward to its arrival. Did your aunt hook you up with those pretzels?
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Johnny, I've been trying to convince my wife of that for years to no avail :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I ate 6 on the 45 minute drive from the airport :woohoo:
  • Zippylip
    Teresa, this was rediculously simple & just as tasty. The best way to do this is actually indoors in a non-stick pan or griddle, in much smaller 'pancake' sized portions. I too love cauliflower, raw, steamed, sauteed, fried or otherwise - when you caramelize it (to the point of almost blackening it) it's my favorite, takes on an entire different character
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    6 Federal Street soft pretzels in 45 minutes, may I assume you had to make a stop at the emergency room to have 1/2 of your intestines removed :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Well, the only times I have attempted cauliflower, I thought it was awful. Then again, I felt that way about avocado and Brussels sprouts too and have recently become a fan of both.

That is the most appetizing cauliflower dish I have ever seen, Marc. Perhaps there's hope.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Michael, it is an acquired taste like many things. Try it as described above but indoors as described to Fluffyb above and with no other toppings, just experience the flavor of what it can be with olive oil, salt, pepper & pecorino (this particular format came courtesy my great grandmother). Also, I neglected to add that hot pepper flakes are also added at the outset, but if you're not a fan of heat they can certainly be omitted.
    happy in the hut
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'll try it again... but I think I'm gonna need toppings!!! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Looks great Marc. Any leftovers?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Finally! A good use for collie flower. ;) YUM YUM.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Marc:

Truly Amazing!

Were you able to slide a peel under it to remove
    from the foil? Thanks
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    everyone has the same tongue. it's whether the mind that's attached to it is open, or not, that makes the difference...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Do you ever cook anything that isn't round?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    have you ever seen over the dashboard?
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    thanks, and no, it took a great deal more effort than that, which is where a non-stick pan or much more controlled indoor implements are helpful.
    happy in the hut
  • Little Steven
    You are up kinda late aren't you?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    I thought we had a deal where we didnt reply to each other anymore, especially with irony or sarcasm. God forbid some self-appointed arbiter assume you are being mean to zippy
  • Zippylip
    indeed
    happy in the hut
  • Little Steven
    It was a simple question. I didn't call him an **** or anything

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    But you THOUGHT it

(should we send someone to check on rod? Maybe he fell down and can't get up)
  • Little Steven
    Is there some kind of race in ATL?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Daaayum!! I bet I could get Lloyd to eat and enjoy that cauliflower (of course, I would not tell him it is cauliflower :laugh: ) Bookmarked
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Looks very good Marc and I don't do many veggies. :cheer:

Blair

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that looks great. I love cauliflower. And I enjoy your posts of not so common dishes
    context is important :)