Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium rare hamburgers - a safe way

Options
2»

Comments

• JavaBen
    JavaBen Posts: 35
    Options
    Theo, I'll try to get some info together to post some links here. However, with it being Memorial Day weekend, it may take me a couple of days, or into next week, before I can do this.

Sorry for the delay, but thanks for the interest!
  • JavaBen
    Options
    Little Chef,

Not sure who said the new USDA approved temperature for pork is 160 dF. If it was me, than I fat-fingered it and apologize. The correct temperature is 145 dF per their new guidelines.

http://bbqandbanjos.blogspot.com/2011/05/usda-revises-recommended-cooking.html
  • JavaBen
    Options
    OK, thanks for your insight!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Interesting to make it medium rare or whatever, but 4 hours? Yikes. I like prepping in a couple of minutes and throwing it on the EGG and eating. Yum.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Here you go...It's on the page you originally linked us to...

Copied from BBQ&Banjos blog, 5:05pm 5/27/11:
    ............temperatures but cooked for longer lengths of time:

•hamburgers at medium rare.
    •runny eggs.
    •chicken breasts that have juice.
    pork that has juice (BTW - the new USDA recommended temperatures for pork is 160 dF).•home made mayonnaise, which..........
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Little Chef wrote:
    Stike: I take issue when one refers to references with no back-up. In this case, the 'back up' is his own blog. I want to see a link where the USDA refers to 'pasteurization' of beef...that's all. And thanks for telling me what pasteurization means. I really didn't know that before. :ermm:

I do not think that anyone pasteurizes beef/meat. I have never seen it.

On the other hand we could irradiate meat and it would be just fine. I think that people should be told the process is being used and then make a choice - just like organic products.

It is a controversial topic, but I have had lots of irradiated milk and it is great. You can google it and find lots of info.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I just grind my own meat
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Many thanks! I'm looking forward to learning more about this!

Theo