Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice From the Experts....

crunk
crunk Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to be doing a butt this weekend and also want to do some appetizers (poppers,corn, etc) at the same time as the butt is cooking. I am a new egger and have never attempted multiple foods at the same time.

My question is can i just use a grill extender and cook my other stuff on the top rack at 250 degrees or so while my butt will be cooking below? I wasnt sure if the poppers would come out ok cooking at such a low temp.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Crunk

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Hi Crunk,

I think it would probably turn out fine cooking at the same time. I am sure the corn would be good. It might take a while for the bacon to crisp up at a low temp.

One other thing to consider is you can keep the butt warm for several hours in a cooler. If you can try to time it to finish early, wrap the butt in foil, stuff it in a dry cooler with towels/blankets, then you have your egg available for a couple of hours to make apps.

...I left out a step. Before wrapping- pull off a hunk o' butt. Use it to stuff those ABTs!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Crunk.
    That's kinda low for poppers, but if you set them around the outside of your grate (where the heat is coming up the sides) it should be fine. It's a lot hotter out on the edges.

Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Good point on doing the poppers while the butt rests.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yep. do the rest while it rests. pretty much the straightforward way of doing it.

timing a butt is possible in theory :laugh: , but guessing when it's almost done enough to simultaneously cook the other food, that'd require einstein-level thinking. smokeyPitt is spot-on: better to wait til it's done, and the fire the other stuff off while the butt hangs out resting.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • crunk
    crunk Posts: 94
    Thanks for the advice guys...I will just start my butt earlier than normal and have it resting for an hour or so. I guess in theory, that makes much more sense anyway.

Thanks again!