Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid Hinge Problem

Options
JimW
JimW Posts: 450
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was giving my new small Egg a workout this weekend and I am having a problem with the lid hinges...they are EXTREMELY stiff. So much so that I have not yet been able to get either one into the over-center position (which will insure that the lid doesn't come crashing down). I tried (carefully) putting some WD-40 on them as well as the back hinge but to no avail. I've not seen this on any of the Eggs I've handled. Is there something I'm missing here or will repeated use loosen them up? I'm going to call the BGE people in Atlanta this week to see if they have something on it. I don't really want to use the Egg with this problem so I don't break it or myself.
JimW

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JimW,
    Jim,,if it were mine, I would take the hinge off completely and inspect it closely. See if there is a abnormal bend or twist in the hinge joint. Try moving it when placed in a vice. There may be a factory mfg defect, and call BGE 1-800-939-EGGS and I am sure they will quick ship you another one. They may wish to have yours returned for inspection. That hinge should not perform as you described.
    Good luck..
    Char-Woody

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JimW,
    Jim,,if it were mine, I would take the hinge off completely and inspect it closely. See if there is a abnormal bend or twist in the hinge joint. Try moving it when placed in a vice. There may be a factory mfg defect, and call BGE 1-800-939-EGGS and I am sure they will quick ship you another one. They may wish to have yours returned for inspection. That hinge should not perform as you described.
    Good luck..
    Char-Woody

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    JimW,[p]My small Egg had similar symptoms when I picked it up last October. Through many uses, it has loosened up a little but still can't come close to the effortless operation of the hinge on my Big Egg. I'll be interested in your findings when you call Atlanta.[p]K~G

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    JimW,[p] My small did the same thing when I got it. However, WD-40 worked on mine . . .[p]MikeO