Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauce Info Wanted - Asheboro NC, Blue Mist BBQ

JavaBen
JavaBen Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had some nice, tangy BBQ Sauce on a trip through Asheboro NC at Blue Mist BBQ.

Does anyone have a recipe for this sauce that you can share?

Thanks!

Comments

• bbqnut
    bbqnut Posts: 10
    I'm not far from Asheboro, but not familiar with Blue Mist. Here's "Big Daddy's" Carolina Style sauce recipe that I found on-line. It certainly has some tang to it and it has been a hit with my family and the neighborhood. Give it a try:

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    Simmer the ingredients above for 30 min. then add the soy, butter, and smoke>
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon liquid smoke
  • JavaBen
    Thanks bbqnut! Do you think it tastes like Blue Mist's sauce?
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    That won't be close.

From memory it was more of a tangy ketchupy sauce.

I had the sliced pork sandwhich when I was there a few months ago.

199790_1643198684935_1385906094_31333620_4743829_n.jpg
  • bbqnut
    bbqnut Posts: 10
    Dhuffjr is correct, it won't be close in taste if the BBQ Mist sauce is a ketchup base. However, if you give this recipe a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've experimented with quite a few sauces both homemade and bottled and Big Daddy's sauce always comes out on top.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Here is plate bbq from a different restaurant. Jed's located in Asheboro.
    189977_1643152403778_1385906094_31333561_3333346_n.jpg

It was really watery ketchup with a little tang. Honestly not worth stopping at this place for the pork side or sauce.

Eastern NC style is nearly all vinegar. As you go west you get into red sauces. Supposedly in the Piedmont you find mustard based sauces. I've never encountered a mustard sauce in NC but I have in SC. The is an bottled sauce I buy that has mustard in it I think I'll have to look at a bottle. Carolina Treet. I've never tried it straight I always mix it with other things.

As a kid growing up bbq sauce at pig pickins was a bottle of vinegar with some sugar, salt, and peppers thrown in.
  • JavaBen
    Will do! Thanks again!
  • JavaBen
    Thanks for the help and replies to date!

I'm still wanting to keep the thread open in case someone has a recipe that, in their opinion, is close to that of Blue Mist!