Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Any ideas to use Rougie foie gras?

RRPRRP Posts: 21,675
edited 9:07AM in EggHead Forum
A dear sweet 90 year old French lady who my wife takes to church regularly has just returned from what she says was a 3 week "swan song" to her native homeland.
IMG_2200.jpg

She brought us this 75 gram tin of foie gras. Having never tasted it before I know it is a real delicacy, but do not have any idea how to enjoy it the most. Any ideas would be appreciated!
L, M, S, &  Mini
And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
Ron
Dunlap, IL
Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!

Comments

• It's killer good sliced and put on top of a fresh off the grill steak.

Doug
  • Weekend WarriorWeekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    hahahaha, that'll make him squirm Doug! I'm betting $20 he won't put that on one of his aged beauties. :laugh:
  • Gilding the lily, but I betcha it'll be goooooood

Doug
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ron,

Is it 75g or 750g? A pound is 454 grams. There is a reason I ask.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• vohsmkvohsmk Posts: 40
    I don't think you should eat this! :silly:
    Instead I think you should send it my way since just looking at this picture I'm drooling with envy1 :P
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,675
    Steve,

The package reads POIDS NET: 75 G - I just assumed that meant grams. As for weight that I can understand it weighs 5.25 oz. Of course that includes the metal can.

Ron
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Ron,

That is some excellent quality foie gras and I bet you would be looking at north of fifty bucks to buy it there. You can slice it into 3/8ths" and do a quick saute in a little oil, and I'm talking 30 to 50 seconds or it will melt. Just till you get some caramelisation on one side. Pair it with a rich fruit compote, like fig, plum or cherry. Get rid of some of the oil from the saute and cook the fruit in the rest. It is a shame to do any more than that cause the flavour is incredible. Use Paris toasts or bland crackers of some kind and get a good bottle of chateauneuf de pape to go with it. Top it with some Beluga caviar if you want it out of this world. B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRPRRP Posts: 21,675
    Steven, Thanks for your advice...and the shopping list to boot!
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • walruseggerwalrusegger Posts: 314
    Take pics...I have no idea what that is, but I'm very intrigued!
    I forgot to say slice it before you saute and edited the post. Sometimes they have veins in them that need to be picked out but I would bet that yours have been cleaned. I can be there in about 9 hours if I drive fast.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

It is poached liver from a force fed duck. And they get on us about baby seals :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Here is a video. It is in spanish but you can see the ingredients. Note the cook time

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Here is another cutting in half

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    NICE!!!

My favorite use is for a butter sauce with mussels.

1 cup white wine
    1 diced shallot
    2 sprigs of fresh thyme
    2 fresh bay leaves
    1 pound unsalted butter cut into large dice
    3-4 ounces diced foie gras
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine it all in a saucepan until combined over medium heat. Can steam the mussels separately, but I always cooked them in the sauce - covered. Watch it closely, don't want that sauce to burn.

Of course, some crusty french loaf (batard, etc) is in order to sop up the remaining sauce after you eat the mussels.

So good....