Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump question

Options
tbk420
tbk420 Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've only had my Egg for a few weeks, and love that the lump isn't used very quickly.

However, I've been too paranoid about not having enough for my mostly direct cooks. As a result, I usually put more fresh lump in each time, to bring it about 1/2 way up the firebox.

I'd like to get some opinions on when I actually need to add more, or if there are any tips to let me know when I can get away with using the leftover from the prior cook.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any input! ;)

Comments

• SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Options
    420... :laugh:

Anyways, a couple of locals told me they top off each time. Probably how I will start as well.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    keep topping it off, and the egg will pretty much always act the same each time you use it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I am with stike, depending on what you are cooking, you don't need to top off each time, but it will give you more consistant fires if you do :)
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I shake off the old stuff and add new stuff every single time. Consistent and works good for me.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I like to stir out the ashes of the old lump, scoop it out and put it on top of the new lump. It seems so get to a clean burn quicker.
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have had mine a few weeks as well and i am not filling mine each time. If i am doing somethign that is cooking a bit longer then i will always add more. If i am doing a quick cook like burger or chicken breast i just keep an eye on the temp gauge. I seriously doubt it actually changes how much lump you use but it makes me feel better that i am not filling it up for each use. :cheer:
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Half way up the firebox or half way up the fire ring? Makes a big difference.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If it looks like I have enough, I stir whatever's in there and light. If not, I stir, fill it up (generally to the top of the fire box) and light. I never remove any old lump, no matter how small. And I certainly would never remove old, add new and dump the old back on top. What a pita that would be!

I always top it off if I'm cooking a butt or other lo n slo. Would be a bummer to run out then. But I just top off whatever's in there (after stirring); I do not "arrange" the lump with larger pieces in the bottom.

Works for me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    You use lump becuse of time and temperature, so no harm in adding some every time.

Don't over think it -- just go with the flow.