Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spit Roast a Pig, Anyone?

Brazilian_Egg
Brazilian_Egg Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever spit roasted a whole pig? Roasting a 50 lb'er this weekend and was looking for any tips or things to watch for.

Thanks.

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    only while in college and drunk....

Watch out for people pooring all kinds of alcohol on the pig, (though a few good bears is probably a good thing) and later playing football with the head.....
  • It's an all day cook. But so worthwhile. Note that if you have your butcher cut the backbone out of the pig it will fit inside the egg, it'll cook much easier that way as you will not have to continually add coal like you will on the spit because the egg is so efficient.

Doug
  • We're cooking at a friend's house who does not have an egg. He's been wanting to spit roast one for awhile so I'm helping out. Should be fun.
  • TheLazyC
    TheLazyC Posts: 97
    I have done about 4, whole pigs approx 90 - 125lbs. I cook mine skin side down and never flip it.

I use a oil drum cooker at about 250 degrees and it normally takes around 12 hours or so.

I mist it with water and vinegar in a sprayer and at the end I have seen some people spray pig with Pam to brown it up some.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Never tried a whole pig this way. Many years ago a bunch of us did two sucklings in the 60-75 lb range luau style, buried in the ground. It's about an 18 hour project after the pits are dug and the rocks are in place, but it is an experience (cooking and eating) that will never be forgotten.

:cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    That's a cool story! :lol: