Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porterhouse help - want to Trex, but 1" thick

SomedayMommy
SomedayMommy Posts: 199
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hubby brought home some beautiful 1" thick, 1 lb. each Porterhouse steaks. He knows he should have gotten 1 1/2" thick, but these looked too good to pass up.

I would still like to Trex if possible. Ideas? You think like 2 min. sear per side at 800 degrees and then pull and check temp? 3 min sear per side?

Thanks!
Stacie

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Stacie,

Hot tub it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Sure, you can sear those. The standard 1/2 min per 1/2 inch per side works well. So, for 1" thick, one minute on side one, then flip, and another minute.

T-rex method calls for holding the steak while the temp comes down to 350 dome, and then roast to desired internal. I'm a fan of the hot tub method. Hold the steaks in a bag in a hot water bath so they are already cooked to rare (120F+), and just sear, rest and serve.

Oh! :evil: He should know how to do this. "You bought 'em, you burn 'em!"
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    TREx is a strategy for thick steaks. no need to do it.
    hot tub and sear to finish, but be careful you don't overshoot
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    IMHO, 1.5 minutes per side would be the max. Take them off & check the internal temp, and remember to wait a few minutes as it will most likely climb while resting.. Easy to reduce the red, but the gray is forever! Good luck & happy steaking!!
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    I have 3 steaks to do and will hot tub! Last time I did it thanks to the help on this forum they were great. Adding herbs, seasoning or whatever during the warm up seems to add the flavours you apply.
    90 seconds max each side on highest temp you can get. Be prepared! It is all over very quickly! Andy
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Listen to stike and Steven.Hot tub in 100-110 degree water for an hour then sear.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Andy,

What is it there -2 hours. Sorry you didn't make it up there man.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SomedayMommy
    SomedayMommy Posts: 199
    Thank you all for the tips! I DID hottub the steaks. They turned out FANTASTIC. Thank you all!