Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

replenishing wood chucks

Options
Northern Smoker
Northern Smoker Posts: 6
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
I am participating for the first time as a chef at an Eggfest. I have to serve smoked ribs all day long which will require my grill to be loaded and reloaded every hour with ribs. I am assuming that my wood chunks will flavour only the first batch of food and that the chunks will not flavour subsequent batches.

1. Have you found this to be true?

2. If so, do you know any trick to keeping the flavouring going all day without having to remove the grill and all the food on it to add more wood chunks to the fire box?

Many thanks.

NS

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    NS,

If you mix a few chunks in the lump at different levels when you are putting the lump in you will be ok. I would strongly advise against woodchucks for flavour though. They impart a nasty taste. B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I have to serve smoked ribs all day long which will require my grill to be loaded and reloaded every hour with ribs. :huh: :ermm: :whistle:

Are you saying you will be cooking your ribs in 1 hour? or will you bring them partially cooked or boiled like Little Steven does?

Just layer the wood through the lump like the little guy told ya ;)
  • Northern Smoker
    Options
    OK, OK, I admit that's a pretty funny typo. The heading should read "...wood chunks" not "wood chucks".

I figure each slab of ribs would take 4 hours. So if I get the first slab in the smoker at 9:00 AM, I would pull it at 1:00 PM; the 10:00 AM slab would be pulled at 2:00 PM....etc.

NS
  • Northern Smoker
    Options
    I think Steve gave me the answer I was looking for and I am much obliged for that; however, if anyone else would like to add something I would be very appreciative.

NS
  • Norskman
    Norskman Posts: 2
    Options
    You could try flavoring all the slabs the day before an hour or two each with whatever flavor wood chip you desire and then wrapping/refrigerating until ready to cookoff. Or just keep adding chips periodicly during cooking.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    what do you know? woodchucks are a delicacy. typical uncouth canadian
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    they will take longer than 4 hours... FWIW
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante