Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs-how long?what temp?

Options
TigerDunes
TigerDunes Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to smoke three racks of baby back ribs on Sunday. Each rack will be about 2-2 1/4 lbs each.

what temp and for how long?

any special prep techniques?

any suggestions for a BGE novice would be appreciated.

thx

Comments

• SomedayMommy
    SomedayMommy Posts: 199
    Options
    Search for Car Wash Mike baby back ribs. That's what I do, and they are delicious.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Basically you want to cook at approx 250 dome temp. They will take between 5 and six hours.

There are many little tips and techniques for ribs, probably as many as there are eggers! Go to the search forum and type in "baby back ribs", there are many posts.

As mentioned, the car wash mike method is very popular, you can find on the Naked Whiz site as well as other places on here.

Personally, I just use a dry rub on mine and baste after two hrs and every hour after with straight apple juice. I don't sauce during the cook, preferring to let my guests choose what sauce, if any, they want on their meat. :)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Make sure you pull the membrane off the back. I usually do a 3-1-1. 3 hours indirect at 250 dome, 1 hour wrapped in foil with a 75%/25% solution of apple juice and apple cider vinegar,and then 1 more hour indirect still at 250. In the first 3 hours I usually spray them 2-3 times with the same apple juice/apple cider vinegar solution. At the end I bring the grill up to 450 or so and mop them with the drippings from the foil wrap and hit them a couple minutes direct on each side. Below is a picture after the 5th hour and then a picture after grilled a little longer.

Ribs.jpg

Ribsdone.jpg
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    though some of us would argue the membrane on isn't such a bad thing....
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Options
    Hey there. Here is the recipe I use for my ribs. They always come out spot on perfect!

Ribs (spare or baby back)

Wash and pat dry slab
    Remove membrane and trim a little of the fat, if excessive
    Coat with yellow mustard
    Apply rub liberally to both sides. Refrigerate overnight
    Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature before putting on BGE

Bring BGE to 225 degrees
    Add wood chunks, plate setting and drip pan
    Add ribs bone side down

Cook for 3 hours, turning every hour and spray with apple cider
    Remove ribs and wrap in foil, leaving vent hole at top
    Add ¾ of a beer to foil
    Cook for 2 more hours

Remove ribs and unwrap. Open vents and let BGE get hot
    Put ribs back on grate (still indirect)
    Apply sauce and cook for 20 more minutes, turning and basting

Remove and let rest for 10-15 minutes
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    crghc98 wrote:
    though some of us would argue the membrane on isn't such a bad thing....

I had a guy I know through work (he cooks about 20-50 slabs every weekend for his BBQ stand in addition to numerous butts, chickens, etc.)that said I needed to try direct while leaving the membrane on as it helps to prevent the ribs from getting too dry on the skinny ends and the direct gives a little char on the ends which I like. I'll be doing another 3-1-1 this weekend and expect great results. He also suggested marinating overnight in hot sauce but I haven't tried that yet.