Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pet Peeve\'s

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Their is one in the title thread and used another two in this sentence to.

Their, there, and they're
To and too
Slab vs. rack (I still don't know the difference B) )
Hear and here
Further and farther
First annual - how about inagural instead of first annual
Misuse of apostrophe's - did it again

I starting to upset myself :)

Doesn't really bother me (mostly because I'm already bothered) but I'm surprised when official documents, signs, etc. have these misssussses.

Any PPs you want to share

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    I know those pets can sure be pesky. Go Vols Beat LSU at sumpin. :laugh: :laugh: Ronnie.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    The two are Their should be there, and to should be too. Rite or rong I will stand reprooved. LOL. Milesofsmiles to you. :):):)
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Don't reprove yourself - it could hurt

Smiles back atcha B)
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Thanks Frank, I stay hurt. lol :):)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    And apparently grill and grate are not interchangeable as some would have you believe.... :);)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Short People

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    It's great that my Grill's grid has a nice grate under it.

And my grid's length and breadth is only a short breath away from the sides of the Egg where I go to cook my breasts with a grid pattern on each piece.

Spring "Nowhere Under The Rainbow" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Dear, Mama, Guess, what, I, learned, in, school, today,

Spring "Punct-u-a-tion Is My Mid-dle Name" Chicken
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Shourt peouple whou audd supeurfluousuouus U's tou wourds.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    We're limiting this to grammar, right?

Alls (alls I'm saying is...)
    Try and (try and find the word "alls" in the dictionary)
    Bring vs. take (I need to remember to bring my plate setter to the fest next weekend)
    Her/him vs. she/he (Her and I prefer Vienna Beef hot dogs over Pearls)
    on the other hand...
    Some people think that "I" should ALWAYS be used instead of "me" (RRP graciously gave a whole pallet of Wicked Good to my wife and I at Peoria Fest this year.)
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Bad grammer doesn't bother me as long as I know what they meant.
    On the other hand I get a little PO'd at groups of very slow walking people walking side by side by side by side blocking anybody else from getting by. I also would include people that stop at the bottom of the escalator to think about which way to go while people pile up behind them.
    And I also think there should be a different colored license plate or tag for drivers whose handicap, evident by the way they're driving is obviously mental.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    That is what I meant. I am always surprised when they use an s where a zed should be too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I'm always amazed at how many tv shows and movies use "I" improperly. One would think writers would be more aware.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    You forgot affect and effect.

I wrote a similar note on a photography forum and got kicked off for being a snob. I think it either shows a lack of education or sloppiness. Spelling is also a pet peeve of mine. Everyone has a spell checker and it doesn't take too much effort to check your spelling. That's my too sense worth. :)

Capitalization is important too. It is the difference between:

"I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse"

and

"I had to help my uncle jack off a horse". :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    hahaha! Used to know a security guard at work (now retired). Name was Jack. They had a large white board in their office that noted where everyone was on any given day. When Jack took a day off, the board read... "Jack off today."

:)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Every time I see mentioned 'spell checker' I like to throw this in.

"Ode to the Spell Checker!"

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
    Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.
    As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.
    Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.

Spring "Spell'n & Puntuwayston Is My Middle Name" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • stike
    Options
    i use esses and zees interchangeably, never knowing which is which. i blame it on all the joyce and beckett. :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    no wonder you never got any work done there.
  • stike
    Options
    ah... but they are.

if you use it correctly, you are often seen as a snob, frankly. and truthfully, there are many forms of english. the one we use among friends and the one we use formally. TV is a no-man's land. get too proper, and you alienate the viewer.and i think language is flexible enough to permit this grey area. perfectly proper english would be boring, on tv, or in a book.

There's some interesting thought about this w/r/t writing. Do you use the phrase correctly even if it 'sounds' funny, and risk calling attention to it (which takes the reader out of the text for a minute and interrupts the story), or do you let it slide, in order to keep the train of thought?

Most times, editors will advocate not merely correcting the English, but actually reworking the sentence so as to not call attention to the thing in the first place. Prepositions at the end of a sentence are a classic example. Even though there's no rule about it, there are STYLE implications.

Even if it is 'proper' stilted language is not preferred. Better to rewrite the whole thing to avoid the issue. Because sometimes 'proper' English is itself improper.
  • stike
    Options
    paradoxically, the "I" vs. "me" thing almost always kicks in when the person is afraid of sounding incorrect. "uh oh, the word 'Me' sounds a little funny, I'd better use 'I' "

"You and I went to the store with him."
    "He came to the store with you and me"

kind of funny of you thinkaboutit.

be careful, now. after writing this, the forum hall monitor will pounce on you if you ever have a typo again. hahahaha
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    stike wrote:
    Prepositions at the end of a sentence are a classic example. Even though there's no rule about it, there are STYLE implications.

Winston Churchill is credited for saying:

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. :laugh: :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just saw a post that reminded me of this one. Why do so many people spell 'congratulations' with a d?! Aarrgghhhh!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    Options
    Because they can't spell?
    Hahaha

I heard someone say yesterday that it was a 'doggie dog world'.
    I have no idea what a doggie dog would be, but it's probably a world without a library in it. :laugh:
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    stike wrote:
    Shourt peouple whou audd supeurfluousuouus U's tou wourds.

LMAO!... it's all about the U!
    context is important :)
  • stike
    Options
    exactly. :laugh:

funny how the people who chastise you for using a preposition at the end of the sentence generally aren't aware that there's no such rule about it.

there's a member here who lays down a 'gotcha' on me every time i make a typo or spelling error. but he/she couldn't spell his/her way out of a paper/plastic bag.

sometimes they stick to the rule without understanding the rules in the first place, or whether there even IS a rule

(Winnie was great for a quote, man. one of the all time great phrase-makers.)