Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about an XL

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It makes no sense, but I really want it! I have a Large and Medium that work just fine 95% of the time. Even the other 5% they work descent. My biggest problem is with ribs and brisket. Both are lot of work to keep from over hanging plate setter and getting a little crispy on the edge. Anyway, here are my questions (answer as many or few as you wish):

1. Does the XL roll about as easy as the Large? It would be too crowded to keep all three on the same prime area on the deck (right outside the kitchen). I would be rolling it about 30 feet on a wooden deck for when I needed it (which in all honesty will not be that often.)

2. How well does the half plate setter work for cooking direct and indirect simultaneously? That would help justify more uses. The most common use (but probably hardest to pull off) would be steak and baked potatoes. In theory I could do them more or less at the same time on the XL. The problem is TRexing a steak is going to cause a lot of temp variation for the potatoes even if they are protected by the platesetter.

3. Given the relative lack of use, am I going to have a mold/mildew problem? I live 22 miles from the Gulf Coast with lots of heat and humidity. I currently never have a problem because both my Eggs get used very often. However, the XL could easily go a couple of months without use. Is it going to be growing things? I don't want have to fire up a burn off fire prior to every use, especially since my main use is going to be for low and slows. (Note, if I wind up using the XL for steak/potatoes (see 2 above) that would bump my use enough to negate this problem.)

4. Any other issues I should consider or any other justifications I can use for Mrs. Skihorn?

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Have coveted an XL forever :( but just cant justify LOL have yet to have trouble getting enough butts on the lg med combo if I have to. the xl's are heavy. You know you are pushing some weight when you move it. quite often in fl I am cooking for 10 - 15 and the lg med are fine.. there is where I would want it. here in Maine I just would not use it enough to justify. but when it comes right down to it a second lg would make more sense for me cause I have the equipment to set them up with out buying more stuff LOL
    BUT like you said it makes no sense and I still want one LOL there is just something about them LOL
    so when you figure out the argument that works with your wife let me know and I will try it on my husband :whistle:
  • skihorn
    Options
    You weren't much help. :)

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    1. It rolls just fine and the nest handler is also available in case you are worried.

2. I don't have the half. I only have the full one.

3. If you let it burn a little extra after the cook, you shouldn't have a mold issue. I never have. Even if it does, just light it up and let the mold burn off and you are good to go!

4. I like ribs on the XL, you can do 3 racks flat on the top grid (of 2 tier rack). they cook really nice without fear of burning. I really enjoy my XL and would like to sell my L to get another XL. It is heavy and you will need help if you load it to go anywhere. I take the insides out to light the load on the back. Go for it.
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks!
    Freddie
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    skihorn wrote:
    It makes no sense, (you are probably right B) ) but I really want it! I have a Large and Medium that work just fine 95% of the time. Even the other 5% they work descent. My biggest problem is with ribs and brisket. Both are lot of work to keep from over hanging plate setter and getting a little crispy on the edge. Anyway, here are my questions (answer as many or few as you wish):

1. Does the XL roll about as easy as the Large? It would be too crowded to keep all three on the same prime area on the deck (right outside the kitchen). I would be rolling it about 30 feet on a wooden deck for when I needed it (which in all honesty will not be that often.) Can't help here - my XL is in a table - not sure how many eggers you will find that frequent the forum with both an XL and Large in nests - maybe Little Steven

2. How well does the half plate setter work for cooking direct and indirect simultaneously? I didn't know there was a half platesetter but for sure there is a half pizza stone. should work fine but maybe would want a half grid as well so you could sear the steak at the lower level then move above the stone for roasting. That would help justify more uses. The most common use (but probably hardest to pull off) would be steak and baked potatoes. In theory I could do them more or less at the same time on the XL. The problem is TRexing a steak is going to cause a lot of temp variation for the potatoes even if they are protected by the platesetter.

3. Given the relative lack of use, am I going to have a mold/mildew problem? Yes - my Xl in Corpus Christi, TX sees the least activity and from time to time I open the dome to find some mold, but not really an issue - fire it up and burn it off I live 22 miles from the Gulf Coast with lots of heat and humidity. I currently never have a problem because both my Eggs get used very often. However, the XL could easily go a couple of months without use. Go a couple months without use? You are not making a good case for an XL B) Is it going to be growing things? I don't want have to fire up a burn off fire prior to every use, especially since my main use is going to be for low and slows. (Note, if I wind up using the XL for steak/potatoes (see 2 above) that would bump my use enough to negate this problem.)

4. Any other issues I should consider or any other justifications I can use for Mrs. Skihorn?

Freddie - you cannot justify an XL but I can't justify a boat, table saw, chop saw, swimming pool, etc. and I have them - go get one and enjoy B) Sorry I wasn't much help

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Frank, I have both in nests and they roll just fine. I am always a little more apprehensive moving the XL in and out of the garage just because of the weight. So far, there have been no issues. We even roll it over the grass at comps with no worries (double teamed)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Of course the last time Julie almost bought an XL I joked and said she should stop by Victoria Secret and buy a gift for Neil. After thinking about it, I'm not sure your wife wants you wearing anything like that :woohoo:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I forgot about the egg rescue team :)

Actually Darian may have an XL and L in nests as well.

Skihorn - my primary use of the XL is low and slow but don't forget about turkeys (I know they can fit on a large, just easier to fit the largest ones on an XL), six whole chickens at one time, and a huge grilling space for big gatherings - lots of burgers, hot dogs, sausage, wings, etc.

Pics of non low and slows on the XL - I know most could be done on a large - just trying to help out ;)

Twenty blocks of cheese for presents
    IMG_0684800x600.jpg

Brownies in The Edge pan
    IMG_4175800x600.jpg

Two pans of okra, tomatoes, onions, garlic cooking down
    IMG_2356800x600.jpg

Several lamb chops
    IMG_2500800x600.jpg

Two butts over a brisket - oops, that's a low and slow
    IMG_1054800x600.jpg

Spatchcock Turkey
    IMG_1376800x600.jpg

Four chicks
    IMG_2532800x600.jpg

Six chicks
    IMG_2985800x600.jpg

Whole bunch of shrimp
    IMG_1358800x600.jpg

Charbroiling a bunch of oysters
    101_1559800x600.jpg

Cedar planked gargonzola spinach, corn and trout menuire
    IMG_1109800x600.jpg

A ginormous wok
    IMG_0260800x600.jpg

IMG_5378800x600.jpg

But you still can't "justify" one - go get one and enjoy :)
  • skihorn
    Options
    Love the pictures!

Freddie
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks Frank! Unfortunately, I already have a boat. But other than that and my Eggs I really have very few "guy" toys!

Freddie
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hi Freddie,
    The XL is still my go to cooker.
    I do not have the half stone but I do use a half raised grid all the time. Sear on the lower and roast to finish temp on the top. I also push the lump to one side at times to get even more control. You will really like the XL for ribs and brisket.
    My original nest was a little under built for the XL but the new models are much better. No problems rolling on a deck. My large BGE sees very little use.
    I always over cook for work lunches or cook side dishes and the extra room on the XL is great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    I use direct and indirect often enough. works well.
    context is important :)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Oooooooowwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee,
    Frank, whatchagotondemlambies? De shoor looookn goooood!
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    His habit of always overcooking has led to a big following at Egg Gatherings :woohoo:
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    "other than that and my Eggs I really have very few "guy" toys!"

Be careful on this forum calling Eggs guy toys. B)
    You might have a group of lady Eggers show up at your door and kick you in your other guy toy. :woohoo:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I'm only one of many crazy Eggfest cooks that you are also a member.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying THAT for him B)
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks Darian!

Freddie
  • skihorn
    Options
    Like a sports car (which I don't own), just because it is a "guy" toy does not mean the ladies can't also own and enjoy one. :)

I am married to a feminist, so I do need to be careful. However, she completely cedes all Egg responsibilities to me. But she does swear that she will soon own a sporty convertible (which does not interest me).

Freddie
  • skihorn
    Options
    Desert Oasis: No worries. Even when guys consider things "guy" things we usually love it when the ladies also enjoy them! A guy toy is not a mutally exclusive term.

Freddie
  • skihorn
    Options
    LDD: How do you usually set up for direct/indirect cooking?

Freddie
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Crushed pistachio nuts - pretty good

First introduced to them at 2008 Eggtoberfest by 12step - not as good as his but pretty good.
  • Phrettbender
    Options
    I just sold my XL and bought a medium. For just the two of us the XL was too big and even with the charcoal reducing ring it burned up lots of coals for the few items cooking. The 1/2 stone and 1/2 raised grate really gave me two heat zones for searing steaks and cooking taters or veggies. Can't do that on the medium, but then the pellet pooper comes into play.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Yes thank you Darian!! Us ladies are growing in strength and numbers so beware!! :kiss:
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Well, damn, I've never wanted an XL but after reading the responses, and esp after seeing all those pics, now I want one. Thanks a lot.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Do you have a 'recipe' for the pistachio nuts?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    It's been so long that I really can't remember how I did them.

Probably dipped in a light egg wash, rolled in the crushed pistachio nuts, lightly seasoned, and grilled.

After typing the above I googled "pistachio crusted lamb chops". There are several recipes.

Good luck with it.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    IMAG0086.jpg
    it is a sickness.... probably the worst pic of me out there... but oh how I wanted that egg......
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    It's a great pic. I love it. :)