Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anti theft ideas?

Options
Kentucky Wildcat Fan
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a friend who has a large and used to have a mini until this past weekend. Someone stole his mini off his back deck. I know the obvious answer is keep the mini inside. But I also leave my mini unsecured on my back deck. He is now having a custom table built to hold the large and a new mini. Does anyone have any ideas on how to secure an egg to prevent theft?
Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    You could always run a chain through the top opening and have it come out through the lower vent and lock it up that way. Of course you would have to wait for it to cool off before you ran eveything and you would have to remove the grid and grate, but it will work. You could chain it to the table or anything else. I would put some kind of cloth or fabric around the chain that will be touching the outside ceramic. Some people do this when they go tailgating and they chain it to their vehicles. ;)
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Options
    Put a small chain lengthwise thru a small section of garden hose cut to length. Pass it through the top vent and maybe the bottom vent and pad lock it to something real heavy or maybe a patio post. The hose keeps the chain from scratching or otherwise damaging the egg.
  • Bobbareeno
    Bobbareeno Posts: 40
    Options
    My first thought was to make sure you have a large caliber handgun in your home. That and a large dog. But seriously, the chain idea sounds like it would definitely work.

Bob
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    How very sad! I hope whomever stole it feels guilty, every time they light it up!

I'd probably lock a chain to the back of the hinge, which could be done as soon as you're done cooking. They'd have to disassemble the little bugger, before they could make off with it. For longer term situations, I'd go ahead and run it through the top and bottom vents, or take it inside.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    drill a hole in the bottom.... put an eye bolt and secure with chain..... or drill the hole.and lag bolt it directly to whatever surface it's on.... using a large"fender washer" to distribute the pressure...rr
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Nitelite,watchdog,12 guage.Thankfully we have the Castle Doctrine down here.He could just run a chain and lock through it but what fun would that be? :huh:
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I've never considered chaining my mini to the patio furniture table but I would be highly pissed if I woke up and there was no mini on my back table. But a chain through the hinge would be a pain to get off in the dark.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Hoss
    Options
    That's why I like my idea best. ;) A waterhose will wash away the mess.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    How did I know what you would say. Nice group dad. You ain't getting that stuffed.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• woody's wood pit
    Options
    small dog to bark and large pistol to follow up!

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    Although I like Hoss' idea the best instead of a chain you might consider a vinyl covered steel strand lock which is available at any Wally world by the bicycles. Same principle but no scratches.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    I live in a less than desirable neighborhood. I have 3 eggs. have a cable ran through the band in the back on 2 of my eggs and the third is a table. The cable is locked to the table as well, if they steal 1 egg they have to steal them all. :angry:
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    I live in the 'hood, as well...i use a Kryptonite bike cabme to secure my MBGE anndd will for my new LBGE...as soon as i get it out of the car... Though i have a second story deck and that sucker weighs 140+ punds...so of they try to steal...the better bring a forklift!
  • GirlyEgg
    Options
    Sorry for the spelling...big fingers...little touch keyboard!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    If the thief knows of and appreciates Big Green Eggs, he will find a way to steal it without damaging it or just leave it there.

If the thief is another one of those AH's just trying to steal anything of value he will probably damage it trying to get any chains off, or if unsuccessful, damage it just for revenge.

I leave all my 'Girls' free of shackles and chains unless they are required while working. If someone does happen to steal one of my 'Girls' and I happen to be there or know who did it, I will revert from my usual mild-mannered, fluffy-feathered self and change into one mean SOB.

Spring "Shackles And Chains Are Tools Not Deterrents" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    "nice group dad" :laugh: :laugh:

thanks for that
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Couldn't agree more, man. Scatter gun for me for sure. After all, Jess would have already grabbed the pistol. :P
  • GirlyEgg
    Options
    Sorry for the spelling...big fingers...little touch keyboard!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Frank,

If that were me I would forget to undo it about day three and drive off. :pinch:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    There is a product designed to safeguard backpacks, called "The Safepacker". Produced from a stainless steel mesh, it will envelope the BGE, the opening can be pulled closed and locked, ant the whole thing can then be secured to something such as a pole.
    If you have no heavy table or pole available, then you can install a steel ring directly to a concrete pad. These locking rings are marketed to motorcycle owners and are pretty substantial. Then there's the firearm thing.....
  • Hoss
    Options
  • EggerFromIowa
    EggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the theft.

If I was you, I'd store your mini in a gasser. :)
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    :laugh: Tha's my son's. He tailgates at Houston Texans football games. :)
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I big dog works well, I suggest a well trained German Shepherd LOL
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I keep my attack kitty on watch at all times :ohmy: .He hasn't failed me yet :lol:

ATT00001_.jpg
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Buddy, That is hilarious!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Many moons ago we lived in New Jersey (exit6). We had a Harley 90cc motorcycle that we chained to the apartment's Dempsey Dumpster. One morning our bike and the Dumpster were gone...Never sure which they were stealing :laugh: :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I think it was Fidel or hoss that recently posted the best defense...a matched pair of 9 mm pistols I think I remember in a off topic post a couple weeks back...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241