Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it just me or do you not enjoy your own cooking

SeaBassHWD
SeaBassHWD Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Almost every time I do a slow cook on the BGE (brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc), I do not think it's very good. My guests that eat it say it's VERY good but when I try it, I don't think it is. I'm thinking they're just trying to be polite... The other day, I made some pulled pork and ate it that day. I thought it was bland. The next day, I tried some leftovers and actually enjoyed it. This was the first time I enjoyed the food that I smoked.

Come to think of it, I think I get sick of the "flavor" as I'm smelling the smoke and exposing myself to it. Thus, it's not as flavorful when I have it the same day. But when I cook other food in the kitchen, I don't have this problem and can say whether it's good or bad. It only happens with smoked stuff. Am I alone here? What can I do differently to enjoy the food I smoke?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I think that is pretty common especially when you are doing a special meal or a lot of cooking. It always happens to me at Christmas dinner. I think it is just cause you are smelling the stuff all day. Can't be true all the time or I would be a lot skinnier :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Sorry it's just you.... :P B):)

I cook to eat & enjoy (usually) what I cook...even though I am my own worse critic (except for my wife)... ;)B)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I think Kim is correct :unsure:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    I agree with SeaBass and Steven. If I've cooked all day for something like a holiday dinner. I almost have to force myself to eat something. I'm sure it has something to do with smelling the aromas of the food all day. I find myself only wanting to eat the side dishes and salads, etc. that were brought by guests to compliment the main meal. I'm sure there is probably a name for the phenomenon if you knew how to search the web for it.
  • SeaBassHWD
    I think you're right. :pinch:
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    When it's being served I'm usually not that turned on by it. But just around midnight I can't seem to get enough! :woohoo:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I think it is a lot of what Steven said. I know if I am just doing dinner for the two of us I never really have a problem. but if I am cooking for company then I am over it the whole time. and just like the holidays where nothing is good till the next day LOL. after sampling it so many times and smelling it the whole time and the days of planning. YUK! but also you kind of get used to it and I really do not smell the smoke much any more. we had a gift shop for 23 years and had 9 hutches of Yankee candles I did not smell a thing when I went in every morning. but even the girls at the bank said our money smelled good LOL sold it 8 years ago and if I go in now it over whelms me.(mostly relief to be out of it :whistle: )
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Leftovers often taste better. Flavors have more of a chance to spread out through fats/oils, and anything that might give too sharp a flavor has a chance to mellow. There are recipes for chili that say to refrigerate, and serve the next day.

However, expectation has a lot to do with how much food is enjoyed. If you have been smelling it all day, your brain may already have gone "Oh, enough of that already," by the time you eat it. And, for myself, because I usually have an idea of what I want to produce, even if the food is good, if it is not quite what I wanted to make, I often don't get much pleasure from eating it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Is there any leftovers on the food?

Do people ask you for the recipe and or do they ask you to do another cook?

Do your family members say how about cooking some 'whatever it may be'?

Anyone ever ask you where you got your egg or how much or how can they get one?

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I enjoy EATING my own cooking. It's COOKING my own cooking that I could do without.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SeaBassHWD
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

Is there any leftovers on the food? There usually aren't any leftovers. If there are, people want to take them home.

Do people ask you for the recipe and or do they ask you to do another cook? People always ask how I cook whatever I'm cooking and ask "When's the next party?"

Do your family members say how about cooking some 'whatever it may be'? Some people try to get me to "cater" their next party which I wouldn't mind if I had the right licensing/permits/insurance/etc.

Anyone ever ask you where you got your egg or how much or how can they get one? They all ask how much the egg is and about 80% are turned away and just say, "glad you have one so you can cook for us instead of me spending $1k+"

GG

I guess the food is good, but I just can't "taste" what people are talking about. Next time, I'll just eat my portions the next day. Actually, this past weekend, I made a bunch of pulled pork (buy one get one free at Safeway in CA) so I can freeze it and use it for ABTs, nachos, chili, etc. I'll try some of the stuff I vacuum packed and see if it tastes better.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I don't think I could have that happen after cooking ribs, steak, chicken wings, pulled pork....... and so on. I get what you mean though. I just can't imagine doing up some ribs and not liking them. Mmmm ribs.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Try going out and ordering what you just cooked a few days before, more than likely you will find out how good your food really is :ohmy: :lol: :cheer:
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    If I am reading you correctly, I know the problem and have a solution. It happened to me, and it does so every once in a while when I forget. :(

After you finish cooking on your egg, go in and take a shower. Wash your hair. Change your clothes and brush your teeth.

You have been out in the smoke for several hours, maybe even more. Your hair and clothes are saturated with smoke. So are you. And if you have been sampling your food (quality control is VERY important), your mouth possibly has smoke overload too.

Seriously, try it once and see if it works. No, I didn't believe it either at first, but it works.

BOB
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Capt. Frank just beat me to it. I rarely enjoy restaurant food anymore because I know I can make almost anything better on my Egg! Last week, we had ribs out (long story why I didn't cook them at home)....and I could hardly choke them down they were so dry compared to what I make at home. Go out to a restaurant a few times, and I guarantee you that you'll start enjoying your cooking more and more!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Most of the time smoke flavor will increase when left in the fridge.

Looks like you are going to trust the folks eating your food.

GG
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    I just hosted my oldest son's bachelor party. I cooked 15 lobster tails and 15 rib eyes - and didn't eat any myself!
    I was happy to see him and his friends enjoy the feast. The joys of being a father B)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Agree with BobinFla...I think much of this is because you have the smoke and food smell all over you so you are desensitized to all the flavor that is in the food. At least go change your clothes :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SeaBassHWD
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll try that next time.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    It isn't bad on the BGE, on my old offset smoker, if you did a long cook you where up all night loading the fire. On the next day you have had no sleep and you still have your nose in the smoke, the last thing you want is to eat smoke. That's were the margaritas come in.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I think BobInFla is on to something. At that point of the cook when the smoke gets just right for putting the meat on, I have a difficult time keeping my nose out of the chimney. I mean, it is so alluring that I have a hard time passing the egg without sticking my nose near the chimney and taking a whiff. I also find that I cannot go to bed without showering and getting the smoke odor off of me before I hit the sheets. I'm not sure that all of that sniffin doesn't, at some point, overwhelm your sense of taste and affects your ability to fully enjoy the "meats of your labor." And I usualy find that I enjoy the BBQ more the next night than the day of the cook. The one excetion to that is prime rib. But, overall, I think BobInFla is on to something.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Happens to me all the time.By the time I get through with the prep and the cook I loose interest.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Bear,

That's why we are all so damn skinny right? :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• transversal
    Steven, I'd post my pic to convince you to the contrary, but I wouldn't wanna make you laugh. Stike has already questioned my persuasion (when I was posting under the name "Sophie"). This forum can get dangerous!!
  • transversal
    Hoss, you behavin yourself?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Never! ;) :laugh: :)
  • RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    I am definitely over critical of my own cooking - perfectionism has it's flaws. Do I dislike my cooking - NO! I'd rather eat it than going to a nice restaurant!

To me the beauty of the egg, is you don't really have to sit in front of your cooker and start to smell like it, especially on long cooks... Get the egg to your desired temp equilibrium and ignore it, don't mess with it and then take it out.....
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    With all due respect I think you need to read your avatar and SHUT UP AND EAT! Just joking around of course...

I think it depends on your senses like the others already offered above...I will say that almost everything I cook seems to taste better the second day, especially the more variety or quantity of spices I've used...

98% of what I cook is high temp and quick, an hour is long to me, so I don't get tired of the smells & I rarely do anything long or slow, I'm too ADHD I need instant gratification when I cook. I even copied Bubba Tims Brisket Ramblings for my cookbook because it was lacking anything longer that ribs so it was incomplete without that recipe.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I agree with Bob. I used to have an offset and after breathing in all that smoke and having smoke wash over you when the wind changes, it affects you sense of smell and taste. I find that a shower and a change of clothes really helps. You can do all that while the brisket/butt rest in the cooler. Kind of like a "super" cleansing of the palete. Course, leftovers usually taste better the next day if there are any.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I agree...and if I have time inbetween prep/finishing and eating, I'll often jump in the shower and change clothes....sometimes this helps bring back the appetite...

After learning my Dad's/Grandmother's recipe for meatballs and sauce I get asked to make large amounts (10lbs) for many parties....I never eat them, people tell me they are better than my dad's...but could've fooled me, I'll eat his any day over mine and I think it's just because I didn't roll 200 F$%$^n meatballs