Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner

Options
freedonia
freedonia Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having my new Large Big Green Egg delivered today after lusting for one for awhile. It has a stainless steel grate. Is this preferable to the porcelain grate? It was a bit more expensive, but the only one the store had in stock.

I have to admit after poking around the Forum that I'm a bit intimidated. I was pretty good with my old Weber charcoal grill but this is a whole different ballgame. Hopefully, my learning curve won't be too great. I will be testing it out on my family this Memorial Day weekend with burgers, chicken, and then ribs.

Comments

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Freedonia,
    Welcome to the forum and a brand new barbeque experience. By the end of the weekend I predict your eyes will have rolled back into your head more than once. The egg is a great tool for ANY outdoor cooking whether grilling hamburgers or doing low and slow BBQ. You WILL be amazed and even the mistakes are great.
    Don't be intimidated. The forum is for to taking you by the hand and teaching you what you need to know. Just ask!!

Have fun and takes pictures.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Stainless holds up a little better.

Yes, the Egg is a whole different ballgame. Fortunately, its one where the cook wins pretty easily.

Biggest thing, just about the only thing, is learning to control the heat. I'd suggest starting a fire, and watching it. Open the bottom vent wide, take off the daisy wheel, and fill the fire box. Start the lump, and put the lid down. If you happen to use a starter cube, note that the dome thermometer will read quite hot while the starter is burning.

When the dome therm comes to 200, close the bottom vent almost all the way shut. Just leve an 1/8 inch. Put on the daisy wheel, and just crack the vents open. Note how the temperature climb slows, and stops somewhere between 250 and 275. Open the bottom half way, and set the daisy to have holes open max. The temp should climb to 350 +. When it does, shut the vents back to where they were. Note how long it takes for the temperature to drop. Repeat opening the vents, and let the heat come up. Let the heat stabilize, and let it run for 20 - 30 minutes. Shut back down, and note how much longer it takes for the temp to come down.

You will be amazed at the number of things you can cook, and really how easy most are.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    No reason to be intimidated. Just start cooking, and ask any questions you would like. Most all Eggheads are super helpful and friendly.
    Hopefully you didnt have to pay extra for the SS grid. The porcelain grid works fine and comes with the Egg at no add'l cost.
  • freedonia
    Options
    The Big Green Egg has arrived!

I was told (maybe incorrectly) that all the new BGE's come with the stainless steel grate standard instead of porcelain, and yes, it was around $25 extra IRC. By the time I bought the BGE, wood stand/table, plate setter, ash remover tool, and delivery charge, the extra $25 was a drop in the bucket. :)

Right now, I have it under a 4 ft. overhang but with the clearance needed it will probably get rained on a bit where it's at. The wood table is heavily coated with polyurethane. I could move it so that's it's more under roof but I'm a little concerned about having it on a patio that is enclosed on 3 sides under a roof. A couple of pictures could probably describe it better. I just need to figure out how to upload photos.
  • freedonia
    Options
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Unless something has changed VERY recently, any BGE should come with a standard porcelain grid as one of the basic components, included in the base price. It sounds like you aren't concerned with the extra costs, so that is good.
    However, and I may be in the minority which would be no surprise, I prefer the standard porcelain. Seems most of the SS grids are constructed of smaller diameter material making them more flimsy. There seems to be few if any issues with the porcelain grids rusting, etc. so I don't see any advantage.
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    Unless something has changed VERY recently, any BGE should come with a standard porcelain grid as one of the basic components, included in the base price. It sounds like you aren't concerned with the extra costs, so that is good.
    However, and I may be in the minority which would be no surprise, I prefer the standard porcelain. Seems most of the SS grids are constructed of smaller diameter material making them more flimsy. There seems to be few if any issues with the porcelain grids rusting, etc. so I don't see any advantage.

I got my BGE in March 2011 and it came with a stainless steel grid. I think they are now standard, as are the Tel-Tru thermometers.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Ah,ok. I wasn't aware.

edit: Just checked BGE website, "Porceleain Coated Grid" is still listed under standard components. Website update could be running behind I guess.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Website is not updated. SS grid is now standard as is new BGE temp guage made by Tel-Tru. I'm sure there are many stores with old stock. Now if we can just get them to ship with high temp gasket.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I just sent your advice to someone who's getting a new Large on Friday and is pretty overwhelmed by all the demonstrations I've done for her on my own Egg.

It's a gem and you should send it whenever a newbie asks a trembling question!
    Judy in San Diego
  • freedonia
    Options
    I will be doing exactly this tomorrow when I get my first chance to fire it up before I start using it this weekend. Thanks for the advice.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    porcelain will crack at high heat, eventually rusting out. mine rusted quickly.

it can also be harmed by steel grill brushes.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Nice table and nice set up. Cool roof.

Suggest you put the little green feet between the Egg and the paver to provide an air gap so you don't scorch the table or worse. One at the back and two towards the front.

Whatchugonado with that round black thingy on wheels next to the egg? :)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Welcome to our world...now yours too :laugh: :laugh: Enjoy your egg and happy cooking ;)

Tips and information: Grandpas Never wrong
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=843650&catid=1
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    My procelain didn't crack and rust untilI played bounce grate on the concrete patio. :angry: I have a cast iron, a slightly out of round porcelain :( and getting SS for the large (and the small)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • freedonia
    Options
    Thanks, I wondered if there was any need to use the little feet with the paver.

I think the old, rusted out Weber may have seen it's last grilling. :cheer:
  • freedonia
    Options
    Wow, great stuff. Thanks.