Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza dough

Options
harps
harps Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
first time posting wife has made three pizzas so far have been great problem is pizza dough sticks to peel have tried bread crumbs flour any ideas

Comments

• Marine
    Marine Posts: 84
    Options
    cornmeal works for me. Keep it moving around on the peel as you are putting the toppings on so it doesn't start sticking. Difference between a nightmare and coming out good :P
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    Some people use Parchment paper, but I don't like that, it will burn at the edges.

You can also use corn meal.

The easiest thing to do is get some pizza screens from a restaurant supply place or online- http://www.amazon.com/American-Metalcraft-Pizza-Screen-12/dp/B000SBLWZS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306336641&sr=8-3
  • harps
    Options
    thanks meatball sounds like what we need
  • harps
    Options
    wife says she will try that thanks
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    My preferred method is parchment paper. We put the dough on the parchment paper and tear off 3 out of the 4 corners so that there isn't much sticking out. I like one corner so I can grab it. I typically put on just the dough for around 2 minutes, just so that it firms up a little, not fully cooked. I then load it up with the toppings and put it back on for around 8 minutes w/o the parchment paper. You can leave the parchment paper on or off for the whole cook if you wish. This is just the way that I do it. We prefer very thin and crispy crust. I typically do the pizzas around 500 - 550 with this method for the thin and cripsy.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    You can pull the paper out after a few minutes. Leave a little handle over one of the three leg things.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Yes, like Capn' ook says, leave a little corner of the parchment paper to grab and after two of three minutes hold a pair of tongs or whatever against the edge of the pie and pull the parchment out, works great! :)
  • greendean
    greendean Posts: 50
    Options
    I have also had several issues with the same thing. Sometimes, the dough just sticks regardless of cornmeal. I have tried two things. One, sometimes try sliding off of a different side of the peel. 2nd, I use a lot of flour when I am rolling the dough so that it does not stick. Some pizza chefs say that the extra flour drys out the dough, but I have not had that problem.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    One thing that have been working quite well for me is using a perforated pizza plate. I prepare the dough and I will put the dough on the pizza perforated plate, load the topping and put the perforated plate with pizza on the egg. After a few minutes, I will remove the perforated plate and continue cooking.

The small holes seem to help the dough from sticking to the plate.

Also add a bit more of flour to the outside of your dough, help to prevent sticking to your finger and the peel or pizza plate.

Good Luck!
    Marc
  • coalspeak
    coalspeak Posts: 36
    Options
    Mrs.Coalspeak and I cook pizzazzzz at least once a week - we use parchment every pie. As mentioned, we just trim the edges so there is no overlap onto the heat/flames and it works fine