Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib

Options
ayda1
ayda1 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on grilling a 4 pound prime rib. I plan on using a v-rack. Should it be direct or indirect cooking?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    grilling is direct, roasting is indirect. although you can go direct, it's probably much easier the first time out of the gate to do it indirect

good luck
    it's an easy cook. don't let the 'prime rib' name get you rattled. it's roast beef :laugh:

you can go 250 or so until it's at your desired temp, or 325

you can get the dome temp quickly to 500, put in the meat, and throttle back to 300 or so, and let it ride it out that way too.

hard to mess up. only way to mess it up is to overcook it. how does your crowd like their beef?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    ayda1,

If you don't want to waste the drippings use the platesetter with a drip pan spaced off with something. A low and slow cook reduces the chance of overcooking, gives you great base for gravy and allows the cook to have a glass or two of whatever. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ayda1
    ayda1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input! I enjoy medium rare and my family prefers a little more well done.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cook to medium rare and give them the ends.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    I just did one indirect that turned out great. Plate setter with legs up and grid on top. Put the roast directly on the grate, bone side down. It was a 2-bone roast, about 6.5 lbs. I cooked at 250 for somewhere around 3 hours to medium-rare. It was delicious!

I also did a reverse sear after it rested. Cranked the egg up to about 600* and seared the prime rib after it had rested and also cooked my wife a filet.

This link helped a lot:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

I did use mustard/Worcestershire slather with salt and pepper.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Maybe that's why I like low and slows so much.......
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Cook to medium rare in the middle. If then ends are still not done enough for the family put individual slices on the grill with some direct heat, or just a heat a skillet with a pat of butter and use that to get to desired doneness.

Freddie
    League City, TX