Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering BGE

Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok everyone - I am close to purchasing a BGE but it's a lot of money so I'm weighingy
Options. I'm a novice griller who LOVES to cook out. I have some quality recipes I can make on the webber but I mess up most meats by over smoking or improperly heating. Just want honest opinions from newbie BGErs about how difficult
It really is to start making tasty stuff (pizza, pies, meat, etc on the BGE) thanks for
Your input.

Comments

• tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    It is very easy. The key to them are regulating the temp which you will get after a couple cooks. Get yourself a good temperature probe, and your allset.

Start out grilling some chicken or burgers to get the hang of regulating the top and bottom drafts.

Read the forum and do searches. After I mastered those, everything else came easy. I nailed my first low and slo porkbutt, and the car wash mike ribs.

This forum is a testament to the BGE. It is as good as we all say. I don't have 2 (Lg & Sm) for nothing.
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    it is simply the best cooker on the market... grill, smoker, baker, etc... use the search item on this forum and you will get all the information that you want to read. good luck and welcome to the forum...you will be hooked after you buy your first one....

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Novice griller or not it really doesn't matter. Cook the food to temperature and use time only as a guide.

I purchased many gassers, smokers, water smokers, grills than I want to admit. I, like probably everyone else on the forum, only have one complaint. I sure wish I knew about the Big Green Egg earlier in life.

Every one of the cooks below are simple. A better question is why not get an egg.

Enjoy

GG

Fajita.jpg

egghfham4.jpg

egghfham2.jpg

eggcioppinob.jpg

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

blackncatntroutplate.jpg

1stcookonsmall.jpg

chili2.jpg

doroast6.jpg

chocolatecake.jpg

omletpineapple.jpg

pizza.jpg

chick500.jpg

chick400.jpg

chickspud5.jpg

ribs1.jpg

abread2.jpg

abread3.jpg

breadchocchip4.jpg

bge_lge_snow.jpg

turkey0812.jpg

beefrib3done.jpg

bbloin3.jpg

barbacoaburrito1.jpg

barbacoasalad3.jpg

cornpotato.jpg

corn2_400.jpg

packer6.jpg

packer8_flat_closeup.jpg

chicken3.jpg

chickenwhitesau2.jpg

chicken1plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

brats.jpg

bratstuffpepper.jpg

bratsonionpepper.jpg

tunamelt_1.jpg

tunamelt_2.jpg

tunamelt_3.jpg

ribswet1.jpg

hamdelicut.jpg

09turkey1.jpg

oldyeast3.jpg

ham4.jpg

charsui2.jpg

charsui4.jpg

sausage_summer.jpg

chiliverde.jpg

pastrami-burger.jpg

chicksalad1.jpg

potroastpb1.jpg

potroastpb3.jpg

potroastpb4.jpg

samoanchick.jpg

1104snowbrats3.jpg

brats.jpg

pepperncheese1.jpg

poblanoncheese2.jpg
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    It's so simple a caveman can do it. :whistle:
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I'm livin proof that achieving masterpices on the BGE is within the grasp of even the least talented.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    I started egging in Sep 2010 so I'm pretty much a noobie at it.

I've been grilling (mostly Weber) with charcoal since 1978.

There's a world of difference, but cooking on the egg is simplicity itself once you have figured out temperature control.

I would suggest you get an egg and fun a couple of empty burns, playing with the draft door and the DFWT every 20 or 30 minutes and watching the temperature .... take notes. Oh, and do it at least once with the plate setter in place as that seems (at least for my eggs) to impact the draft through the egg ... and thus the temperature.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    That spread convinces me and I have been cooking on a BGE for five years. :laugh: :laugh:
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    You won't regret the purchase. I was a boring bbq guy who never ventured past burgers, steak or chicken and grilled about twice a month. Between the temp control and the Egg and the advice on this forum, I now do all kinds of things on the Egg. I love it. I now grill at least twice a week.I now have two Eggs and am contemplating a third. This past weekend I had 64 people over from my church and fed them two briskets, two pork butts, chicken and sausage.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    I'm far less accomplished than 99% on this board, but its purchase is still the best decision I've made in a long time. You will have zero regrets. Good luck.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    There is a learning curve,but it's not that steep. ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Don't sell yourself short friend.I've seen some IMpressive vittles come off your egg.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Not quite 5 months for me, and I have cooked more on the BGE than I have have in the last 10 years!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • have had my XL for just about two weeks...been considering for two and a half years...have a 10 year old weber and two pits... just couldn't pull the trigger

makes me think of wasted days and wasted nights...think there was a song about that...

Go for it, you'll never look back!

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Vapor Rub
    Vapor Rub Posts: 9
    I've had my large a little over a month now and have become a gilling machine. The forum is very helpful. before getting my egg I had never cooked on charcoal only gasbut have found the egg makes it very simple.
    Go for it you'll love it!
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    skihorn wrote:
    You won't regret the purchase. I was a boring bbq guy who never ventured past burgers, steak or chicken and grilled about twice a month. Between the temp control and the Egg and the advice on this forum, I now do all kinds of things on the Egg. I love it. I now grill at least twice a week.I now have two Eggs and am contemplating a third. This past weekend I had 64 people over from my church and fed them two briskets, two pork butts, chicken and sausage.

Freddie
    League City, TX

That's pretty much my story except the most I've fed off mine was 16 all at once. I've had mine about 4 years now and like others kick myself for not pulling the trigger sooner. After an open heart surgery I decided WTH and use it several times a week from March through Dec. and some in the winter. If you can afford it there isn't ANY reason to delay-call 'em now:)
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    The life-cycle and operational costs costs of the Egg are another thing to consider.

Buy a cheap gas grill for $299 and get three years out of it, you are looking at a $100 annual life cycle cost. A large Egg that costs $1,000 all in (with goodie's etc) will certainly last 10 years. I have had mine for 5 years and its barely broken in. I bought a 10 year old one 2 years ago for my second home and again, I think it has 10 more years of life at least.

A charcoal grill at $100 is a bit different but again you are going to have to replace it every 5 years? Also most charcoal grills do not have the ability to extinguish the coals and reuse. This cuts down on the charcoal expense, but admittedly you are going to have to use alot of charcoal to make the egg more cost efficient than a cheap kettle charcoal grill.

The large upfront cost of the egg makes it look alot more expensive when compared to grills with low cost / short life. But in the end you are buying a superior product that can help make cooking out better and more fun.
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Average Cook + BGE = Chef

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    GG - outstanding menu you have there. Question though - what is the meat in the white paper wrap with the mesh around the outside?
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Never cooked on charcoal regularly prior to the egg....pretty easy to learn temp control, and it has improved my cooking all around...(this forum is part of that)

I'm now looking for a second egg....
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    GG. I think I want to buy another EGG! Nice pics.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

This is a Paper Bag Pot Roast or will work well with pork. One of the most tender and flavorful cooks one can do.

Here is a link to my original post Paper Bag Pot Rost

potroastpb1.jpg

potroastpb2.jpg

potroastpb3.jpg

potroastpb4.jpg

GG
  • TNT54
    TNT54 Posts: 40
    The BGE is certainly easy to use and is better than a Weber for many things. But if you "mess up most meats" on your Weber, I'd be focusing more on technique than equipment. Most of the problems that lead to poor results with a Weber will not self-correct just because you have an Egg. The Egg is easier to control temperature with, but if you can't pull a steak or a burger off a Weber when it's done, you won't be able to pull it off a BGE on time either.

Cooking is 90% technique and 10% equipment. That's why there are thousands (tens of thousands) of people across this country who make killer food with the most rudimentary equipment. I like the BGE, and enjoys its advantages, but it's not a silver bullet that will magically solve all your cooking woes.

Cheers,

T.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Thanks, Hoss. That's from reading your posts!! ;)
  • eggskeeter
    eggskeeter Posts: 2
    You will not regret your decision. I purchased my Large Egg about 6 weeks ago after 2 years of thinking about it. I have a gas grill, weber and large BBQ pit....It's possible that I may never use them again.

The heat control learning curve is very short and only took a couple of cooks to get the process down pat (learned a lot from reading this forum). I cook enough on the weekends that every meal through the week is covered.
  • Thanks for the advice T-54. I know my technique is flawed in many respects because I'm still learning. I can do many things well like pork loins, brisket, and easy burgers.

I am working on improving my steaks by searing and going easy on seasoning. Ribs and Pulled Pork I have never mastered. I think it is about temperature regulation which I have found isn't too easy on the Weber.

I am anxious to try baking on the BGE. Pies, Pizzas, bread, cookies, etc... I haven't heard of this being done on a gas or weber.

Thanks everyone for input.