Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help!!! Smoked Salmon

Options
Indiana Skeeter
Indiana Skeeter Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my large BGE today and did OK with some sirloin steaks. But a friend of mine is bringing over some Salmon filets tomorrow and wants me to smoke them and I don`t have a clue. Please Help!

Comments

• Indiana Skeeter,
    To start with, you need to do salmon indirect. I hope you have a plate setter. I like to do mine at 400 dome temp. There are several types of smoking chips to use depending on the taste you are looking for.My last time, I used Jack Daniel. I also do the salmon for ten minutes for each one inch of thickness. Don't overcook the salmon. When the salmon is done, my wife usually heats some butter, brown sugar, lemon juice and garlic powder. Reduce it down and spoon over the salmon. YUM YUM YUM!!![p]Jerry

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    Give this a try. Season with a jerk seasoning rub. Cook indirect at 350* with alder wood until done (about 15-20 mins per pound of fish). During the last 15 minutes slather on a mixture of burbon, butter & brown sugar (equal parts) and you got yourself some great tastin salmon! Joe

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    Just did Salmon last night. It was wonderful, very little leftover... just enough to jazz up a salad tonight![p]I cook mine direct. For smoke I use apple, alder, pecan, maple... whatever you have that is sweet and mild. I don't overdo the amount of smoke. Check out my link....[p]
    Mike in MN

[ul][li]Mike's Salmon[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    You can see how I do salmon, following "Gretl`s" bourbon dijoun recipe, on my website in the "cooks" section..HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,[p]i've done cedar planked salmon several times and it is GREAT. What the others have posted will work well for a meal(my cooks seem to take longer)and the leftovers are great on crackers.[p]But i don't think your friend is asking for a meal, my guess is that he is looking for something more like this. I've never tried it but it seems to be more of what someone would be looking for if he was asking you smoke the salmon for him.

[ul][li]maybe what you're loking for[/ul]
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    I have made this smoked salmon twice and both times it was a hit. I think that however you cook the salmon it will be great just cooking it on the egg. Good Luck with it and let us know how you cooked it and post pictures.[p]

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/181758.htm[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Indiana Skeeter, If you want "smoked salmon", brine fillets for 5 hours using whichever brine recipe you wish. I just use water, kosher salt, and brown sugar. Rinse fillets and pat dry. No real need to air dry and allow the pellicle coating to form. Smoke indirect at 200 degrees for 4-5 hours. If you want real smoky use extra wood chunks. If you like a little smoky, don't use more than a couple chunks. 4-5 hours produces a fairly dry texture. If you want moist pieces, cut the cook time back an hour. Brush with a honey and lemon juice mixture 1/2 hour before done. Refridgerate after the fillets have cooled. Enjoy with cold beer if you like it.