Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dual Functon Metal Top

Options
myselftokeep
myselftokeep Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to clean the Daisy Wheel?

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    myself tokeep,
    I have found the best way to keep clean is with consistent use. Food won't be touching the DFMT, so I only am concerned about rust and making sure the top swivels and opens.[p]I have had mine going on 3 years and have done nothing to it, other than take a toothbrush to it, while cool, and brush off the big deposits. HTH[p]Banker John

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    myself tokeep,what I do when it really gets bad is place it in a small plastic pail like an old ice cream container and pour in household ammonia until it's covered. Cover that pail with Saran Wrap and let it set overnight. In the morning using gloves and an old toothbrush rinse it off under running water. Avoid breathing the fumes. This will bring it back to clean. Some people tell you to place it in the hot coals after a high cook, but that will burn off the paint and rust will set in. I did that once and ended up repainting it and since then I have used the ammonia method.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Greetings myself tokeep,
    I've used Dawn Power Dissolver once when the gunk got real bad, but mostly I just pop it into Egg after a cook.
    bruce

• Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Options
    myself tokeep,
    I will throw it in the coals to clean it. After it cools I spray it with cooking oil to stop rust and to "season it".
    Jake

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    myself tokeep,[p]
    Heck I nevah clean mine..and I've gotten real good at determinin where the crusty little great grimey greasy grey gobs of gopher guts is gonna fall onta my food when I turn the top there..and strategically place the fuzzy little missus Stumps food directly under that spot...dependin on her mood that day of course..I mean some days...there are times when them gobs of gopher guts can land all over my food and I could care less..cause sometimes you gotta eat a little gopher to get a little beaver..least that's what poppa used to say..an he is rite on most things..most specially wild critters...[p]StumpBaby

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    myself tokeep,
    good lord... all this talk about buckets and cleaners....[p]when you are done cooking, toss her on the grid, shut the dome and put the rain cap on.[p]whatever greeeezey schmutz there is will melt of, and whatever is left is called 'patina'.[p]if you take a wire brush to that thing and clean it with ammonia, i'ma hafta come over there and show you how to relax.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    stike,[p]"patine"[p]
    I think I went out with her in hi skool..an she wuzn't anywhere near mine eggs..much as I wanted her too..I remember her..she worked in a candy store...I would always get a charlston chew..cause she had to lean way over for it..I always wondered why they didn't put the mounds there instead..seemed more fittin..on accounta that's what Id get when she was gettin me that charlston chew bar..shoot I think it just made more sense if I was able to walk up there..and roll my eyes bak into my head..and maybe mutter a little bit..maybe play the song muskrat love inside my giant cranium and finally say..at just the rite moment..can you give me a mound please...ahh those were the days...[p][p]
    shoot I didn't even like charlston chews..but I bet I spent hundreds on em just the same...[p]and you had to remine me..oh patina..patina..why are you on this mans eggs..patina..patina...[p]StumpBaby

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    holy crap...
    you must live in henniker, NH, or thereabouts.[p]my sister Patrina useda werk inna candy store and she'd come home every saturday afternoon and tell us about the macrocephalic kid what was in there axin fer a charleston chew and gigglin to hisself the whole time, with his hand tugging furiuosly in his pants pocket.[p]she said he was kinda cute, and that when the light hit him just right he looked a bit like marty feldman. kinda had a soft spot for you.[p]i bet ifya axed her for her number she'da given it to you.[p]and slipped you a set of wax lips and some "swedish fish" (ifya knowutta mean) to boot.[p]poor Stump....
    manna from heaven lands in his lap and he's content just to gum his charleston chew.[p]course, if he could gum his 'charleston chew', he'd prolly never leave the house[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    RRP,
    I've used both methods re; high heat on the egg at the end of a cook, (and had the same results you did) and ammonia. I perfer the ammonia. Just my opinion.
    Hammer