Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Travel Woosday

Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in Portland all last week for a conference. Gorgeous place to visit. We got extremely lucky with the weather. The first couple days were cool and gray, but the rest were beautiful. The locals were amazed at the weather. We planned in some time to do some sightseeing, and played hooky once or twice to get in a little extra fun time.

Multnomah Falls; the second tallest year-round falls in the US. My wide-angle didn't go wide enough.
IMG_7030.jpg

IMG_7035.jpg

IMG_7052.jpg

The Pacific on a gray day. Too damned cold for any sane person to be surfing, but...
IMG_7140.jpg

IMG_7201.jpg

Looking down on Haystack Rock
IMG_7173.jpg

Looking UP at Haystack Rock
IMG_7217.jpg

We did not plan our visit to Haystack Rock around the tide, but got very lucky that the tide was out, and we could walk among the tide pools.
IMG_7252.jpg

IMG_7256.jpg

One evening, I visited the Japanese Garden. Simply beautiful.
IMG_7267.jpg

IMG_7294.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7302.jpg

IMG_7304.jpg

Lunchtime in Pioneer Square. This was probably day two or three of the good weather, and every day, the locals packed the square at lunchtime.
IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

I also visited the Chinese garden one afternoon. Unlike the Japanese garden, the Chinese is right in the middle of downtown. It's also very beautiful, but since it has a lot less real estate, it's a little cramped. The Japanese gardens were a lot more peaceful.
IMG_7439.jpg

IMG_7443.jpg

Mount Saint Helens...we visited on the 31st anniversary of the explosion...completely by coincidence.
IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7388.jpg

Coldwater Lake...formed after the eruption.
IMG_7403.jpg

This isn't the best photo, but in the foreground, you can see some of the fallen tree trunks still left after 31 years. This photo was taken eight or ten miles from the volcano.
IMG_7413.jpg

The flowers all over Portland were amazing. Here are just a couple of the many pics I took.
IMG_7453.jpg

IMG_7480.jpg

Thanks for a fun week, Portland.
IMG_7464.jpg

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    A... MAZING!
    context is important :)
  • Thanks for the beautiful travel log :cheer:

That black and white photo is striking, too.

You would make a good travel guide :woohoo:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Ben, a very nice place, tks for sharing such beautiful photos
  • What beautiful pictures! Thanks for showing them to us.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Outstanding photos Ben, what a great trip!

I would love to travel the U.S. but every time I get those thoughts my budget starts laughing at me again. :blush:

All my travels these days are done from right here . . .
    DSCN8116A_800.jpg

I bought this the other day and it has turned into a serious Snooze Cruise! I now understand why a comfortable hammock and the afternoon tropical sea breezes go so well together . . . ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . :laugh:

Thanks for sharing with us Ben.

Blair

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Wow!!!
    Amazing set of pics
    Great post :)

Shane
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great photos.
    Only been to Prtland once and it was great but never made it out of town. Now I wish I had.
    Spliced your falls images.
    IMG_7035.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Beautiful pics Ben, makes me want to hit the road again.
    Beach.jpg

Monteray.jpg

ShoeTree66.jpg

Rt66.jpg
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Thanks for showing me the possibilities, Darian. I was planning on playing around with stitching those two together, but with the camera tilt needed for the top of the falls, I didn't know if things would line up from a perspective standpoint. Up at St. Helens, I took several shots, with the intent of stitching together some panoramas, but I haven't started playing around with it yet...never done it before. In the photo you stitched up for me, it looks like the seam must be just above the bridge, as there looks to be some duplication of branches there. Is that common?

I also took a lot of shots with the AEB turned on, to start playing around with HDR, including all of the panorama pieces.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    I hear you, Blair. When we go camping, we always string up a couple hammocks. Hammocks go well with northern forest or Great Lakes summer breezes, too. Our last vacation was our first with our daughter, and we weren't allowed to sit still long enough to enjoy the hammocks...I think it might be a few years before my next serious hammock nap.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Ooh, I love the blues in your pics, Cap'n...especially in contrast with the tans in that second photo. Very different colors than I was seeing last week.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Stitching photos together can be fun as well as a hair pulling event.
    Shooting with a wide angle lens makes it hard at times to stitch as you said with perspective angles matching.
    Your falls images were just a quick drop and blend and it's far from perfect but looks good on the web.
    Looks like a great trip and your photos are great.
    So glad you posted them.
    Some of the new photo software has auto stitching but I'm still doing it with Photoshop by layers when needed.
    HDR is fun and works much better if you use a tripod but I'm normally to lazy.
    Shoot me an email on the side and let me know how your stitching work comes out.
    Take care,
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggatorium
    Eggatorium Posts: 99
    Nice pictures, I am borrowing some.
  • reader40
    reader40 Posts: 69
    wow those pictures you all have posted are fantastic!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Wow, those are some great pics, thanks for sharing.