Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help-- 50 People for Dinner

Options
BrisketBob
BrisketBob Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to know what to cook for 50 people from my wife's office. I'm thinking pork butt. How many butts will I need, what recipe and what's my timeline for dinner to begin at 6 pm?

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I agree, and it'll be a huge hit! I figure about 4-5 sandwiches from a lb of finished product. You'll end up with about 60% of what you started with. Women and children will eat 1 1/2, men will eat 2 sandwiches.

Other more experienced Eggers will chime in, but it looks to me like you're looking at around 30 pounds to start.

Will you be using 1 Egg or 2? Butt takes 1.5 to 2 hrs per pound. The unknown factor is; how long it will take your Egg to come back up to 250 after putting the meat on. With 4 or 5 butts, it could take awhile.

Last summer I did 5 on one Egg, started around 8pm and finished them around 3 the next afternoon.

There will be more experienced voices as well.
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    I haven't cooked for that many people but I remember a rule of thumb for half a pound (uncooked) per person. So it sounds like three eight pound butts or about 25 lbs.

I'd cover them in yellow mustard then Dizzy Dust rub.

16 hours for 8 pound butts (2 hours per pound @ 250* F) plus 3 to 4 hours resting in HD Aluminum foil and towels in a cooler. ========>
    ****Comes out to 20 hours, so put the butts on at 10 PM. Use remote thermometer for meat and dome temp. Keep the dome closed, "If you're a lookin it ain't cookin." If they get done early just wrap them in extra foil and towels.

I use an Eastern North Carolina vinegar based sauce to pour on pulled meat. Cider vinegar, salt, sugar, hot pepper flakes and black pepper.

Sides should include a potato salad and coleslaw. Maybe some sliced white bread.

Drinks of your choice.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• BrisketBob
    Options
    I've just got one medium egg. Those are great tips. Anyone else?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Butts won't take 2 hours/lb. Bank on 1.5 at 250-270. Number of people divided by 2.4 will give you how many lbs you need, about 20 lbs.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    In a group that large, you're almost guaranteed to have a couple of vegetarians, non-pork-eaters, a few w/food allergies or celiac, or just general picky eaters. So think about substantial sides that is meat-free, gluten-free and vegan-friendly. Since your wife has to see these people every day, you'll want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of dietary practice.

Vegetarian baked beans will be enjoyed by all, ditto for an eggless potato salad (like this one: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/French-Potato-Salad-101986). Sauteed corn w/roasted poblanos & caramelized onions is nice, and how about a colorful slaw (use a vinagrette dressing rather than a dairy-based one)?

Citrus desserts are nice with a BBQ menu. Lemon bars, lemon meringue pie, lemon ices or sorbet...or even homemade lemon popsicles!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

As PhilsGrill said the 2.4 rule, rules.

GG
  • BrisketBob
    Options
    Has anyone actually cooked pork butt for this many folks? What are some pitfalls I need to be careful of?
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    Here is 3 10lb butts on a medium.

It was not any more work cooking it, nor did it take any longer than a single as they were not touching. I did have a dual level rig, but this could be rigged with two grates and three bricks.

Picture0614092259.jpg

Thats my beach rig that I picked up for $125 including the table!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Brisket Bob,
    On a large BGE I smoked 4 shoulders for 35 and had two untouched pork butts to take home. I also served potato salad, coleslaw and beans. I served the pulled pork on cheap white burger buns. I made Elder Ward's Piedmont sauce and served Sweet Baby Ray's on the side. It will take a good portion of time the day before to prep the sides, maybe three to four hours depending on how fast you are in the kitchen. I heated the beans under the pork toward the end of the cook. I am not sure how that looks on a medium egg.
    It definitely can be done, it is just work. It will go smoother the second time.
  • Eggatorium
    Eggatorium Posts: 99
    Options
    Costco helped a lot with their butts, cooked the day before, set in Costco aluminum pans over night with Coke, covered and then warmed in oven for the event. No complaints! It was moist and like it was taken off that day.
  • BrisketBob
    Options
    OK, these are great hints. Anyone else had the guts to cook this much pork for a group this large for the first time?