Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr Chicken's Dbl Smoked Ham Question(s)

Options
Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 441
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks, I'm doing the fine Dr's Double Smoked Ham this Sunday and wanted to get any tips, tricks, do's or don'ts from some people that have already done this. I plan to get a whole shank (cooked, but not pre cut) from Sam's, Publix or Kroger and plan to follow the recipie. I plan to use pecan chips and have ready to eat about 4 PM. [p]One note, my wife is not a huge fan of amaretto so I'm thinking I want to back off a bit on the amaretto & maybe the vanilla used in the injection marinade (I guess???).[p]Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    Reducing the amaretto and vanilla shouldn't be a problem. The base flavor of amaretto is almond; if you were so inclined you could add a small quantity of almond extract. Better yet, why not go with a taste the wife likes (rum, Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort, etc.)?[p]Ken

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Thanks for your reply! How about Burbon? Do you know my wife??? LOL Joe

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    Bourbon oughta work fine. While I was at it, I'd also toss a little bourbon (1/4 cup or so) into the glaze. (Any that spills into the cook is okay too...)[p]Ken

• Greendriver
    Greendriver Posts: 128
    Options
    Smokin Joe,[p]Here's a link with a whole slew (?) of injectables. In the Dr Chicken recipe, he is using a "fully cooked" ham. I plan to do a ham this weekend also, but will probably use a Smithfield "smoked - ready to cook" ham. That being the case, I'll probably cook to 170 or 175 and let rest 30 min before slicing...hope it turns out good...mine and yours.
    [ul][li]injectables[/ul]
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    Greendriver,
    Very cool! I have used several of the Cajun Chef marinades before. My fav is the Creole Butter. Here's to our hams and whatever the rest of the forum gang is conjuring up! Joe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I like your thinking Ken. Have a good one! Joe

• Greendriver
    Greendriver Posts: 128
    Options
    Hey SJ, here's the recipe I'm going to use but when I copied and pasted it, the recommended type of ham was left off the bottom...but I been shopping for it today and found the very one they (Food & Wine) recommended. It's a Cook's Ham. The cooking time and temp on here is for a "fully cooked" one and the one I got is "smoked ready to cook" and right on the package it says to cook to 160. Still think I'll go to 170 though...I think the peppers are just for show.

Spicy Pineapple Glazed Ham
    · MAKE-AHEAD
    · STAFF FAVORITE
    ACTIVE TIME: 40 MIN
    TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS 15 MIN
    SERVES: 12
    INGREDIENTS
    · One 16- to 18-pound smoked ham on the bone, with skin (see Note)
    · One 4 1/2-pound pineapple—peeled, halved crosswise and cored, 1 half sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick and 1 half coarsely chopped
    · 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
    · 2 bay leaves
    · 2 cups dry Marsala
    · 2 cups dry Riesling
    · 2 cups water
    · 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    · 1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
    · 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    · 2 large jalapeños, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick, seeds discarded [p]
    DIRECTIONS
    1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Cut off the ham skin, leaving a thick layer of fat. Lightly score the fat in a diamond pattern. Arrange the pineapple rings in a roasting pan. Add the onions, bay leaves, Marsala, Riesling, water and nutmeg. Set the ham on top, fat side up. Cover with parchment paper, then tightly cover the pan with foil. Bake the ham for 40 minutes. Turn the oven to 325° and bake for 2 hours and 30 minutes longer, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part without touching the bone registers 120°.
    2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree the chopped pineapple, then blend with the mustards.
    3. Remove the ham from the oven. Turn the oven to 400°. Spread the pineapple mustard all over the ham and arrange the jalapeño rings on top in even rows. Bake the ham for 15 minutes, or until nicely browned. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 20 minutes.
    4. Meanwhile, strain the pan juices into a saucepan and boil over high heat until reduced to 3 cups, about 20 minutes. Skim off the fat and pour the juices into a warmed gravy boat. Carve the ham in thin slices and serve with the pan juices.[p]

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Greendriver,
    That sound really good. I will keep it in mind for the next time though. I have the ingredients for the Dbl Smoked Ham already. Good luck with your cook. Keep us posted as I will too. Thanks again! Joe