Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Egg Need a Winter Coat?

Options
BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my large BGE since June '99, have been experimenting on my own since then. Have only found this forum in the past few days and have visited frequently since. Have found TimM's site very helpful, in addition to postings here. Have scanned through archives but have yet to find answer to these questions: 1. From Canada and it's well below freezing. Egg is on covered deck, but a 'skiff' of snow is sitting on Egg's shoulders. Would a cover be a worthwhile purchase? I know rain doesn't bother it much, how about snow? and 2. If okay left exposed and covered with a bit of snow, should I remove the metal daisy-wheel, put on ceramic one, and only bring out daisy for cooking? Any hints greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    BBQfan1, Hi...I live in Iowa, and it snows here also. Not so much this winter tho. I happened to find a grey Weber round cover for their large cookers, and it fits my BGE fine for a snow/rain cover. Anything will do but BGE's is a much nicer material and looks great.[p]Just cook with your BGE in winter or summer just the same. The only difference will be the vent adjustments. [p]I go year round with my two (large and small) with no let up for weather...Rain/snow/sleet/hail/hurricane/tornado/..it still cook's... Cheers..C~W
    Just a tip tho.. you might get some freezing causing the top to stick to the bottom due to moisture on the felt. Just stick a reflector lamp for workshop use with a large bulb in it (150 Watt or higher) in the dome, and the metal reflector will help seal in the heat..It will thaw it out in short order..Or take off the top cap ..and drop a lighted starter cube in on the coals or start from underneath in the ash pit opening with the cubes..it also will thaw it out quickly..Just tips..Cheers..C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Welcome to the Egg forum and family. My Egg lives on my deck naked all year long. It would be better if it had a roof or a cover, but I have not gone that route and the Egg does fine. I will need to replace a screw or bolt every couple 2-3 years as the water works on them but thats minor stuff. It looks brand new compared to old gassey. [p]I also use mine year round - I had some pictures of my Egg with a foot of snow on it from last year but I can't seem to find it anymore - I guess I cleaned house to well on day. I went to an Egg dealer last week and noticed he had none. "we will get more in spring, they're seasonal you know", she said. "BS", I said. A webber may be seasonal but not the Egg. Welcome and let us know if you have questions.[p]Tim

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Tim M,
    I like that attitude! See my post concerning starting the fire! Where do they get these people?

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]A hearty welcome to another EGGer from the land up north. I live in NJ, not as cold but we get ice storms (Nor'Easters). I cover both of mine (large and small). The ceramic cap is used to kill the fire and I always store the daisey in the EGG (along with other necessities). They are then available and ready to use on the next cook. Your EGG will cook great food as long as you are willing to venture outside to use it. You'll give up first.[p]Spin

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    00_00009_2.JPG
    <p />BBQfan1,[p] Welcome to the forum , you'll love the help. I live in Toronto & have been Egging for going on two years. We
    did pick up a large cover for the egg & use it to keep
    off the snow, In the freezing rain it will not get all
    iced over. When I want to egg, just roll up the top &
    I'm set to go. As for the cold, no problem.[p] Earl

• Teslamania
    Options
    Earl,[p]Great picture.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Earl, is that a hole under the BGE? I wonder what that is under the ice...reminds me of a joke.

Seems a blond gal decided she would take up ice fishing and went to the store and bought all the fishing goodies..![p]Found a good spot on the ice and started to dig a hole. A loud deep voice from above filled the air "there's no fish under the ice"..!

She picked up her stuff after looking around and moved to another spot..started digging..!

Again, a deep voice from above.."there's no fish under the ice"[p]She move a third time...and started digging..and again the voice, stronger now "I told you there were no fish under the ice"[p]The blond stopped and said "Is that you Lord" !![p]And the answer was..."No !! This is a skating rink and I am the rink manager!![p](sorry Glenn if its not accurate):-)[p][p]