Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EggHatter's first "solo"...

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

Kathy decided today that she wanted to make oxtail soup...she called me while I was driving back from the Georgia Mountain EggFest to ask how to start & setup the Egg. She had already browned the oxtails on the stove and wanted to simmer the veggies & oxtails for 3 hours on the Egg (not wanting to get the house any warmer).

I talked her through adding a little charcoal and lighting the Egg with the MAPP torch...then once the Egg was going well, she called back to talk through the setup...not knowing for sure which pot she was using I first had her put the pizza stone on the middle level of the Adjustable Rig and the grid on top. She called me back a few minutes later to tell me the pot was too tall to close the dome, but she had figured out to lower the pizza stone and I had her put three copper elbows on the stone to set the pot on (for air circulation under the pot)...here is the final setup...
K052211-03.jpg

A shot of the veggies getting happy together with the browned oxtails under the veggies...
K052211-02.jpg

After 3+ hours she pulled the pot and removed the oxtails to strip the meat...one pic of the tails...
K052211-06.jpg

and another...
K052211-07.jpg

All of the meat from the bones...
K052211-13.jpg

Next the "special" ingredient ready to go in with meat & broth...
K052211-11.jpg

And the broth, nice and dark & rich...
K052211-10.jpg

She then added some noodles and lentils to give it some body and served me up a fine dinner...
K052211-14.jpg

She has done a few cooks on the Egg in the past (when I was laid up after the knee replacement), but was her first try without me actually standing by...I'm so proud of her! :)

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Kudos to Kathy,, I see his & hers eggs in your future. Did you leave room for expansion in your outdoor kitchen? :whistle: :laugh:
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Congratulations to EggHatter! :) The oxtail meat looks so succulent, I'm sure it made a great soup.

Hopefully Kathy will make it to the Georgia Mountain fest next year.

Night Jay! :lol:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Congrats to you both. The soup looks very good. :P

I continue to encourage Cindy to use our egg. She knows a lot because I tell her what I'm doing and why. :)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Ok, just wondering what she made on the eggs while you weren't there... the oxtails look so good, I wish I had some of that soup! And the port is a great addition.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I hope you hugged her neck and told her what an AWESOME job she did. ;)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Jay:

Nice setup in your egg with that large stock pot.

Thanks for the pics.

edit: Sorry for the wrong position! :(
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Kathy awesome job, looks like Jay is going to loose his eggs. I was napping when you first called on the drive back but Jay told me what you were doing. Great Job.
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    niceeeeeeeeeee
    me want some soup!!!
    Congrats!!!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Great job Kathy! Funny thing though, no one had a delicious pot of oxtail soup waiting on me when I got back from the Georgia Mountain EggFest. Kathy it looks just awesome!!!!!