Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Boston Butt on the BGE

TheLazyC
TheLazyC Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put two 8lb butts on at 250 and they were to temp in only 9 hours, which came in about 3 hours early based on the 1.5 hours per pound that I was expecting.

I was somewhat disapointed, when I pulled them off they were 187-212 degrees according to the ThermoPen, I was hoping they would be falling apart but only sections.

Had a good flavor, is there anything I could have done to get them falling to peices?

And also, I calibrting my thermometer AFTER the cook and it came in 12 degrees off, at boiling point it was reading 200 so I adjusted to 212 which means my butt cooked at approx 238 dome.

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I have only done three butts, so I am no expert. Mine have all taken MUCH longer and I was doing them at roughly the same temp as you.

The one comment I can offer is you say the thermopen had it at 187 to 212. Normally I would just use the lowest temp I can find in the meat (usually at the center). Therefore, my thinking is that means you pulled it at 187. That is about 10 degrees cooler than when I have pulled mine. That would partly explain the time difference, but I still wouldn't have expected that big a difference. That may also explain the tenderness. I have pulled all three of mine in the 197 range, wrapped and rested in a cooler and found it to be VERY tender and falling apart.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • TheLazyC
    TheLazyC Posts: 97
    I guess I am just going to have to cook another and another until I get it right! :)
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    That's the spirit!

Big pieces of meat are intimidating, because it usually means you have a lot of guests over and want it to be just right. I don't ever cook a brisket or butt just for the immediate family, so it is hard to experiment. For my first butt I did it for my inlaws. Perfect combo as there were eight of us eating (enough to justify a butt) but being my inlaws I didn't really care if it wasn't good. :)

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    It's just the DW and me at home now and I cook a couple of pork butts every once in a while (they come in twos from CostCo).

I find that if you FoodSaver them in smaller amounts and then freeze them they defrost and warm very nicely.

So, no need to wait for a crowd - practice and enjoy the dividends!
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    I am with Skihorn. Your butt just wasn't done. Fortunately there is a long weekend coming up so you can cook another. :)
  • Capt. Rich
    Capt. Rich Posts: 153
    Did my first Boston Butt this past Sunday. It really was awesome. 5.7 lbs seasoned it with some yellow mustard & bone suckin mustard, then rubbed on a coat of Bad Byrons Butt Rub. Cooked it about 10 1/2 hours. It literally just fell apart.
    BostonButt.jpg