Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Burn Out

Big PopsBig Pops Posts: 3
edited 2:47PM in EggHead Forum
I went to the Ga. Mountain Eggfest Saturday. At one of the demonstration they talked about "burn out" to clean your GBE. I came home and tried it and it worked great. But it also burnt out my gaskets. They were saturated with grease and needed changing anyway. My question: Do gaskets normally burn up at burn out?
·

Comments

• Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    It has been known to happen. The main cause for gasket failure is poor alignment with dome and base. If you can prevent the loss of extremely hot air across the gaskets they should last forever.

If you have a good seal between the dome and base then you don't really need them. Just make sure you don't drop the dome during a flashback.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    If you have no gasket consider yourself lucky.You cannot have gasket problems if it is gone. ;)
    ·
  • Le Oeuf VertLe Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Hoss wrote:
    If you have no gasket consider yourself lucky.You cannot have gasket problems if it is gone. ;)

That's a good way to look at it.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    ;) :) I do more lo-n-slows than anything else,never missed it.
    ·
  • probe1957probe1957 Posts: 213
    My gasket was toasted years ago. Never bothered to replaced it and never missed it. I get no smoke around the lid on low and slow smokes.
    ·
  • TRPIVTRPIV Posts: 278
    Recently I caught my new Nomex gasket on fire during a pizza cook. I was tempted to remove the whole thing, but decided to patch the burnt areas.

I realize you could get away without a gasket, but I like the added padding between the two mating surfaces. of the base and the dome.

This reminds me, I need to head to the local distributor and pick up another one to have on hand.

Happy eggin,
    Ted
    ·