Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless Theremometers - Purchase with caution!

Options
Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just saw Mardi's post about the 'Nu-Temp' wireless theremometer so I followed the link - the picture looked very familiar - I purchased one in the past and have subsequently committed it to the "TOYS THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT" category. I got so tired of trying to figure it out and wondering if it was still working, I placed it in the big circular file (garbage can). Tim M also purchased one and may have different thoughts . What follows is froma post on my site...[p]>> BEGIN <<
Second time I used it (Mexican Meatloaf) I managed to blow the probe. I called the manufacturer and they were a real pleasure to deal with. I'm mailing the old one back and they are mailing me a replacement at no charge. In fact they were so friendly, I ordered 2 more at the same time.[p]01/16/2000 - I'm becoming a little disappointed in the wireless unit. I blew another probe this afternoon at a dome temperature of 325 degrees. [I had just received a message from Tim that he had also just blown his first probe. I know the dome temp on the BGE was right since I just calibrated and installed a new dome thermometer on Friday. I still have 2 probes left - I guess I'll only use the wireless on cooks of 300 degrees or less - when the 2 probes are gone, I'll place the unit in the "toy's that I shouldn't have bought" box. [p]04/09/2000 - I went to use my wireless unit and the battery was dead - I went to open the case to coordinate the units and a small plastic piece broke - I have now committed the wireless unit to the "Expensive but Useless Toys" category.
>> END <<[p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Gfw, you saved me from a whole bunch of grief..Thanks..
    Char-Woody

• The Colonel
    Options
    Char-Woody, couldn't have said it better myself. Don't need no nonworking stuff. Thanks
    yours in the egg--the colonel

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I have little to add - you're correct. I still have mine and I have it in use as an indoor/outdoor thermometer. I not only got the two wireless probes, but also an extra transmitter and a second receiver so I have a total of 3 transmitters and 2 receivers. Its a time consuming job to get all of them "linked up". As you mentioned, the probe transmitters can kill a 9v battery in as little as 3 weeks but I have a different type of tramsmitter that is designed to read air temp and that one has been working since the day you and I bough ours - back in Aug-Sept I think. As I look at one of the two receivers I see its 63 deg ouside. [p]I can't say mine is worthless since I do use it (albeit not for cooking). I am going to take a probe and mount it around the pool pump so I can monitor the water temp along with outside air temp from the other probe. That still leaves one probe to use for a pork butt now and then. [p]I agree - it's a toy you don't need if you have a low tolerance for aggravation. Maybe the newer versions will be better. The one good thing is the person who sold it to me never charged me for the second transimitter and display - I had told him how displeased I was with the meat probes melting on GFW and I at 275 deg so he gave me the 2nd unit for free. Save your money and wait for a better unit.[p]Tim