Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

60 day dry aging epilogue a.k.a. WOWSER!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recently I had reported finishing a 60 day aging of a 16# rib eye sub-primal which looked like this after removing from the DrybagSteak bag.
IMG_2183.jpg

As promised here's my report from last night's superb meal - oooops I already gave away the results, didn't I? :laugh:

Well I selected this 3" chunk that weighted in at 1 pound 10 ounces.
IMG_2190.jpg

Then I hot tubbed it in 115° water in a small Thermos cooler for 75 minutes. Then after rubbing the meat with kosher salt and a favorite homemade rub I roasted it indirect at a 300° dome temperature until it reached 124° internal which took about 35 minutes. BTW when the meat went on it was 93° internal from the hot tub process.

At that point I removed the meat, foiled it and waited about 5 minutes to get my dome temp up to 550 and climbing and did a reverse sear until my Thermapen said the meat was 134°. Then onto the cutting board.
IMG_2191.jpg

A sharp knife through the middle revealed these two tasty slabs were ready for our dining enjoyment and were they GREAT! Very fork cutting tender!
IMG_2195-1.jpg

Heretofore I thought I was a 45 day snob, but now I'm a 60 day snob! :laugh:
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    my mouth is watering!! perfect!!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Beautiful.I'm gonna make it that long one day! :woohoo: :)
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Ron, that looks incredible! Thanks for sharing with us!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great looking beef you have there Ron. Looks melt in your mouth and fork tender. Yum yum. :P
  • oakdaleegger
    Options
    That is fantastic! I can only hope to do this someday. Great job.
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Now those are the kind of experiments I like!!! That looks fantastic! Do happen to have a recipe for the patience for such a thing??? 60 days of waiting to eat that .. such will power!

JM
  • RRP
    Options
    LOL - what works for me is to place it on the bottom shelf on a wire rack for circulation and then hide it behind a wall of jars of peppers, pickles etc! I even forget it is there so I make a note on my calendar!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    RRP: Perfection! I still have one good sized chunk left from the ribeye we dry aged a couple months back. (The NY Strip got consumed... :whistle: ) I am at +/-80 days now. I will be cooking it up very soon! (Don't think I want to do the 100 day thing...but heck, it's only 20 more days!) :laugh: That really looks perfect! Nicely done.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thank you! - it sure was good and the nice thing is we have 4 more just like them in the freezer now! BTW did you get the email I sent you last week or did it get slammed to the spam bucket? It came via this board.
  • Hoss
    Options
    I like your handle.I used to live in a subdivision called Oakdale.Coolest subdivision I ever lived in.All the lots were at leaast 3 acres,most were bigger.I grew up in the country and cannot stand living in town on postage stamp sized lots. :(
  • Hoss
    Options
    C'mon Michelle!!! Go 120 and bust stike's chops. :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Maybe just 101 days??? :laugh: :whistle:
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
  • Little Chef
    Options
    RRP: I didn't get your email. Can you resend to the email in my sig line below? Thanks!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

Is there a reason you cook as a roast and cut after?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options
    Yes - because I feel I have far better control of the doneness using the reverse sear method. Even the hot tubbing works wonders so the centers are nice and warm. Works for me! In addition to that we both like the blended taste on the other side with the crust from the rub and salt.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    That looks perfect!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    If 100 isnt as good as 60 (and im pretty sure i said that ;) ) then i dont understand how going 101 would bust my chops.
    :laugh:

I had a special scheme i was gonna share with LC, but i never heard back. :(
    So I'll just go it alone i guess. Sniff sniff

Anyway, nice to see everyone jumping on the 60 day bandwagon.
    It really is a nice round number.

Seriously though. 60 is fantastic. 100 great flavor but too dried. 72, 75?
    Worth trying.

Though, just like luvin, it's better au naturel. Real men don't wrap it! :laugh: :evil:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Ummm...Maybe like you saying "cuz I can" do 100 days...Maybe I want to do 101??? :laugh: Seriously, I am going to cook it as soon as I get motivated enough. I want to roast it super slow, and see how it turns out. I wasn't really a fan of the 65 day...was too dry for my liking, so I don't really hold much hope for this at 80 days. Perhaps a slow roast may help...I'm not too sure, but will find out!
    And you are correct, MY bad, I didn't get back to you. Lemme find your email addy now, and open the line back up!
    I also discovered a product for long dry aging I thought may be of interest to you.
  • Hoss
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You goy THAT rite! I know you said 100 was too long.I was just funnin with Chelle. ;)
  • stike
    Options
    Not sure who said it, but yeah. It should be said that at a certain point, juiciness goes out the window. Although i think the flavor is fantastic.

I think that may be why the commercial stuff that's available here is is capped at 45 days. still enough moisture to meet the expectation
  • Little Chef
    Options
    I am glad I did the aging project the way I did, in all honesty. Cut into the sub-primals first on day 28, and they were great!!! 35 days was even better! (The steaks were at 35 days when I served them at the afterparty) 42 was amazing...but approaching 60 days, they just got too dry for my taste. Truly I don't have high expectations with this roast, but at least I feel I completed the 'journey'... :laugh:
    And, you have mail.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Me TOO,Me Tooo! I wanna play!What's the secret? :laugh: :)
  • RRP
    Options
    Funny that you mentioned the dryness as I had anticipated that to be a potential drawback of 60 days - but if you look at this picture again it was surpringly moist when I cut it open.
    IMG_2195-1.jpg

I had made a batch of our favorite au jus just in case, and while we still enjoyed that addition along with a mix of sour cream, prepared horseradish and salt that prime rib could have stood on its own and still won the race! It was GOOD!
  • stike
    Options
    Dont worry. Youll have a chance to copy us :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Options